Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are the advantages of running the 6spd tensioner? my car is a 6 speed and the mechanic that replaced the engine long time ago changed the tensioner for the auto one because of the metal pulley ... so now I'm just wondering if there is any significant advantage to go back to the 6 spd one or just keep the auto one? , the car has been running with no problems at all

thanks

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
FWIW, I've been using the auto (n/a auto or 5sp) tensioner for a couple of years with the 6spd with no issues at all.

Purpose of the shock for the 6spd. Perhapse for higher HP, it's benificial.

·
Boost Junkie
12,407 Posts
Eventually if you drive the car hard, your serpentine belt will come off. I did the 6-speed swap and didn't swap out the tensioner because I had just purchased a new auto tensioner. Well, one day I was out driving the hard car on some back road curvy roads, and the belt started to jump off the pulleys. I eventually wore through 2 of the ribs and was down to 4. The auto tensioner doesn't have the provision for the dampener like the 6-speed has. The dampener helps to prevent the tensioner from relieving tension during high rpm gear changes or down shifts. My recommendation is to install the correct tensioner.

Steve K.

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what I was thinking, like I said the car has been running great but I may as well change it to the 6spd bracket and shock

thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts