Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ran up on a new problem tonight. I got home and put the car in neutral and it had a chattering noise coming from the tranny but it still shifted and drove just fine. Just sounded horrible. It has NEVER done this before. Any ideas what it may be???

Z

·
0 Posts
mmm...Getrag 6-speed suppose to chatter because of itsdual mass flywheel I believe. how lod is the noise? every supra I have been in has chatter noise from tranny....and if you have light weight flywheel or upgrade clutch, it will chatter even more.

if it drives fine and grabs/engages fine, dont worry too much.

Jonas

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it is loud enough to hear it from outside the car. It is not super loud but you can hear it pretty easily. I just can't figure while it is doing it now because it has never done it before. I still have the factory flywheel and a factory clutch with about 40K on it.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Does the noise go away when you press the clutch in? And it doesn't really make any noise when the car is still cold? If so that is most likely your throw-out bearing going bad. Mine started doing it at ~58,000 miles, after 18,000 mi. at BPU. Your clutch will definitely wear out fairly quickly after BPU unless you just baby the car all the time.

I actually went about 6 months and several thousand miles after first hearing the sound before I replaced my clutch. I don't do alot of drag launches but those fast highway pulls put alot of abuse on the clutch too. Lots of torque is made in the higher gears under a load. The noise eventually went away I guess after it had worn even more and several weeks later I was getting slipping in 4th gear, then 3rd. I knew it was time to rake out some cash. :(

But on the bright side, a good aftermarket clutch makes the car feel so much better. I easily chirp the tires on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts now where before it wouldn't always do it even on 2-3 unless I was slamming it. I definitely wouldn't replace it with another stock clutch. It would go out too. So think of it as a sign it's time to upgrade :beer:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have decided that I am going to go ahead and replace the clutch. I was wondering which clucth is best? I have been looking at the WOTM and RPS stage 3 clutch's. Also do I need to buy another flywheel or can mine be resurfaced or would it be best to get a lightened flywheel? I am getting ready to go single soon and I want the most performance that I can get.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
If you want the most performance you need the lightened flywheel. But it makes an even WORSE noise than what you were going through!! At idle, when taking off, and at low RPMs while accelerating, you will hear a rattle. I got the stock flywheel, just because I have heard the noise on another Supra and didn't want to live with it every day. If it wasn't my daily driver I probably wouldn't care. BUT when I eventually go single turbo I will be getting an HKS triple and a lightened flywheel. By then I will have another daily driver, something that is very CHEAP to operate. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts