Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it normal for the 6spd tranny to get tight when hot? The play in the shifter is much tighter when hot than cold.

Makes sense that metal would expand, however, there's quite a difference between cold and hot temps.

I would appreciate it if someone can confirm this.

Thanks,

Maury
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
Maury,

Mine is a little "notchy" when cold, feels kinda stiff. Once it warms up after a few miles it shifts smoother and more easily.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chip,

I'm not talking about the notchyness...syncros going into gears.

I'm talking about the "play" side to side in neutral and overall play into any gear...excluding any notchiness associated with engaging.

Seems like tightness in trans fluids or gearbox somehow.

This was after several 150+ pulls handing ass to an A8...

I think the tranny just got VERY, VERY hot or maybe the fluids are bad/low/other????

Not sure... Or just metal expanding.

Either way, I need to have the tranny/rear end serviced for peace of mind.

Maybe tonight I'll check the fluid level...haven't even looked at the manual yet. Hope it's simple.

Any more insights???
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
Spool said:
Chip,

I'm not talking about the notchyness...syncros going into gears.

I'm talking about the "play" side to side in neutral and overall play into any gear...excluding any notchiness associated with engaging.

Seems like tightness in trans fluids or gearbox somehow.

This was after several 150+ pulls handing ass to an A8...

I think the tranny just got VERY, VERY hot or maybe the fluids are bad/low/other????

Not sure... Or just metal expanding.

Either way, I need to have the tranny/rear end serviced for peace of mind.

Maybe tonight I'll check the fluid level...haven't even looked at the manual yet. Hope it's simple.

Any more insights???
Other than shifting more smoothly when warm, the feel and shifter play in my car do not change at all.

Checking the fluid level would be a good idea, it takes either an 8mm or 10mm allen wrench to remove the fill plug (not the drain plug :)) on the tranny, you should then be able to dip your little finger in and feel the fluid level. It should be at or very near the level of the fill plug hole. Make sure you are on a level piece of ground.

Fluid choice is up to you, I have had good luck with the Royal Purple #9 that Jeff Watson recomends, but for peace of mind you may wish to use the stock V160 oil. Can't go wrong with that stuff. Stay away from the Redline D4ATF, as I'm sure you know.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chip!

I'll have to check it today....I noticed the same thing yesterday after some freeway blasts. Just seems like it tightens up a bit.

Maury
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Sounds like there is a possibility somebody may have put RedLine D4ATF in your 6 speed. If this car is new to you I would change the trannie fluid using the Toyota V160 (I don't know anything about the Royal Purple #9 that Chip is talking about) that Toyota recommends for this transmission. It's expensive at $35-$40 for a quart. It takes 1.9 QTs to fill it full.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep...the joys of buying a used car.

I asked the prev. owner what type of fluids in the trans...he said OEM and that he did not touch it. However, the orig. owner may have changed unknown to the prev. owner.

Anyway, I will change it soon!

Thanks!
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
I might add that changing the trannie fluid most likely will not improve your problem if the problem is indeed caused by using the wrong lubricant which causes one oil seal to swell which causes the problem that I am referring to. But I would change it anyway just to make sure you have what is supposed to be in this transmission.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
93dawg

Does this mean that the tranny is bad or possibly covered under a drivetrain warranty???

Also, Let me know a bit more about this issue...does the tranny need replacing or rebuilding? What are long term symptoms and problems??? Thanks for your help.

Maury
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
There is a spring loaded rod, held in place by a bushing, that centers the shift lever after you hold it over towards the driver (in between the 1st and 2nd gear gates).

The redline D4ATF causes this bushing to swell over time, which makes the centering action of the shift lever feel slow or sticky, especially when the tranny is cold.

Jeff Watson told me they fixed this problem on Bryce Danna's tranny, but the tranny had to be dropped and pulled apart. As far as I know the bushing cannot be purchased, but it can be reemed out a bit.

This is the only issue anyone has had with the D4ATF, and some people reported it even using the V160 back when there was a long thread about this on the mailing list. The symptoms were very strongly associated with the DATF though.

If your shifter is sticky first thing in the morning (hold it over towards the driver against the stop, then let it go, it should spring towards the center of the gates, do this when the car is cold and before you start it) you have the bushing problem.

Your symptoms sound like something else to me.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's some more information:

There is a B&M Shifter reverse lockout broke a week ago and I haven't taken it apart to look at the pieces that broke. They may be causing this tight feeling... The shift lever works fine, so I just haven't worried about it.

Has anyone broken their B&M shifter and had this symptom??


CHIP - The tranny is loose when COLD and spring load returns great. It is tighter when HOT.

So its the OPPOSITE of the conditions for the swelling problem then...right??? Let me know what you think??

What are the long term issues with this??

Thanks!
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
Spool said:
Here's some more information:

There is a B&M Shifter reverse lockout broke a week ago and I haven't taken it apart to look at the pieces that broke. They may be causing this tight feeling... The shift lever works fine, so I just haven't worried about it.

Has anyone broken their B&M shifter and had this symptom??


CHIP - The tranny is loose when COLD and spring load returns great. It is tighter when HOT.

So its the OPPOSITE of the conditions for the swelling problem then...right??? Let me know what you think??

What are the long term issues with this??

Thanks!
Maury, I didn't know the car had an aftermarket shifter. If you have the right amount of fluid in the tranny I would sure look at the shifter as a possible culprit.

You are correct, your symptoms are the opposite of the bushing swell problem.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chip/All...

Checked it out again. I think it's the swelling problem, but when hot. When you push the shifter to the left, it just sticks there and does not center back. When cold, it bounces right back.

So what is this caused by and how should I fix it?? Or, should I otherwise worry about it?

Thanks,

Maury
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
Spool said:
Chip/All...

Checked it out again. I think it's the swelling problem, but when hot. When you push the shifter to the left, it just sticks there and does not center back. When cold, it bounces right back.

So what is this caused by and how should I fix it?? Or, should I otherwise worry about it?

Thanks,

Maury
I don't know what would cause that.

I would push hard for a new tranny, assuming the car is still under warranty.

Also, it might be worth a call to Jeff Watson to get his opinion on possible causes and fixes.
 

·
OLDDAWG
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Sorry that I hadn't had a chance to get back to this thread.

Chip already gave you all the correct information.

However if I were going to take it in for warranty I believe that I would take the B&M short shifter out looking for any debris where it shouldn't be and then put a stock shifter back in the trannie. Also since you don't know what lubricant is in the transmission I would change to the stock V160 even though there is a possibility that you might be wasting $75 for that fluid if they indeed warranty your transmission. Good luck on getting it warranteed.
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
93dawg said:
Sorry that I hadn't had a chance to get back to this thread.

Chip already gave you all the correct information.

However if I were going to take it in for warranty I believe that I would take the B&M short shifter out looking for any debris where it shouldn't be and then put a stock shifter back in the trannie. Also since you don't know what lubricant is in the transmission I would change to the stock V160 even though there is a possibility that you might be wasting $75 for that fluid if they indeed warranty your transmission. Good luck on getting it warranteed.
That is very good advice! Don't give the dealer *any* reason to deny warranty.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top