Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run Royal purple Syncromax trans fluid. I am not happy with the noises that the 6spd Getrag's generate. This fluid is as thin as salad dressing! I think that if alittle heavier fluid was used, it might alleviate some of the chatter/clatter of the gears inside.

Current Set-up
Stock Flywheel
RPS Max PP
RPS unsprung 6-puck disc

With the clutch disengaged and the car running the trans is just too damn noisy. If I was to use a Straight 30 weight Synthetic oil... what could happen??? I think the synthetic 30wt. might be thin enough to act as the ATF it calls for.

Thanks

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
I've thought about adding a bit of Lucus oil to mine, but never have. Anyone try that?

As far as noises vs Royal Purple, I'm 100% royal purple. No weird noises. Not loud. Etc. Also, I'm on the same clutch setup as you. You may just have a worn tranny or something.

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
changing to a thicker fluid may quiet the tranny a bit, but be prepared for stiffer shifting.

I would not use anything other than V160 personally, I know it works and if you have a noisy tranny one thing you can do is adjust your idle.

In tuning my car with the AEM recently, I have been tuning my idle and if the idle is choppy or low, my tranny will sound like a diesel engine. I found for my car 750-800 makes the tranny silent....

I also have a fidanza LW flywheel and sprung hub disc which are notorious for tranny noise, but again, tuning my idle has alleviated the problems.

-M

·
Fat Guy in a Little Coat
281 Posts
hammerhead said:
I currently run Royal purple Syncromax trans fluid. I am not happy with the noises that the 6spd Getrag's generate. This fluid is as thin as salad dressing! I think that if alittle heavier fluid was used, it might alleviate some of the chatter/clatter of the gears inside.

Current Set-up
Stock Flywheel
RPS Max PP
RPS unsprung 6-puck disc

With the clutch disengaged and the car running the trans is just too damn noisy. If I was to use a Straight 30 weight Synthetic oil... what could happen??? I think the synthetic 30wt. might be thin enough to act as the ATF it calls for.

Thanks
With the RPS stage 3 clutch, you will not have a quiet transmission regardless of what you do. I would only use the v160 fluid also cause the v160 tranny is expensive to repair, trust me I know. If you want quiet, go with a stage one full face clutch with stock flywheel.

·
Registered
934 Posts
probably ur fault for cheaping out with the royal purple. toyota v160 is expensive but theres a reason the pros use just that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts