Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states I’m wondering if I can run a 7 blade fan from an NA car on a 7mgte. The 10 blade fans are no longer available to purchase new and I can not find one anywhere. Will this lead to overheating and has anyone done this ?

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
it might lead to over heating (hence why toyota put the 7 blade on the NA and the 10 on the turbo).

Unfortunately, there is only one way to truly tell and that is run it and report back.

·
92 TURBO
1,655 Posts
As the title states I’m wondering if I can run a 7 blade fan from an NA car on a 7mgte. The 10 blade fans are no longer available to purchase new and I can not find one anywhere. Will this lead to overheating and has anyone done this ?
$900 this price gouging ebay seller is asking and if that's not greedy enough they want an additional $55 for shipping! :rolleyes:

You'd think for $900 you'd get free next day overnight shipping included. Sad!

EDIT: here's one with the fan clutch for $225 with free shipping:

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,831 Posts
I'm with figgie on Toyota thought the turbo cars warranted a 10 blade vs. a 7. Get the gauge installed when you install the 7 blade fan. Think about it this way. A gauge is a LOT cheaper than an overheated engine. If you find a 10 blade fan, then I think you can eventually install an aftermarket temp gauge if you want.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wonder if modding the fan clutch would alleviate this. I know on the land cruisers they are apparently underfilled so the fan clutch can never fully engage. But not sure if this is the case for supras. I know on my cressida I put in a bit more oil and the fan roars on initial startup then quickly quiets down after the fluid gets forced back into the reservoir. It was an unnecessary mod though, I did it for shits and giggles.
I swear I remember somewhere that the 10 blade fan from a hilux or fortuner/4runner etc. can fit on the clutch without clearance issues. Might have to go that route but go to a junkyard first before forking out for a brand new fan. I don't know if this is the same bolt pattern as our clutches though:
Wood Wheel Material property Rim Auto part

What I do know is that the 7 blade fan is 430mm/17 inch outer diameter.

update: ok the 4runner/hilux/fortuner blade (16361-54131) may not work - its diameter is 460mm, and seems to have bolt-to-bolt distance of 147mm

·
Registered
120 Posts
ahh yes that's the one. I even replied asking for a part number and forgot about it lol.
seems like the number is 16361-75020 (Aisin FNT-002, rockauto has). Supposedly, 16361-54040 also works (hilux/4runner/land cruiser L engine fan blade), but this was mentioned on an aftermarket part site so may need to confirm first. Wonder if there are any other 10 blade fans we can use...
Ok I think there might be some potential candidates, but can anyone confirm how much space is around the fan with the stock fan shroud, accounting for any engine movement too?
16361-67040 - aisin FNT-026, 10 blade, 450mm diameter
16361-17010 - aisin FNT-010, 8 blade, 450mm.
16361-61050 - aisin FNT-018, 8 blade, 450mm

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
well only way to adjust the fan clutch would be to fill it with the correct viscosity silicone fluid and change the o-ring that seals it.

Remote control car shock oil comes in MANY different grade but will cost you to fill the fan clutch.

·
Registered
Stock 1989 Supra Turbo w/ Sport Roof
143 Posts
So, this thread prompted me to look at my fan clutch. I have an 89 7MGTE with a 7 blade fan. That being said, I'm not convinced the engine in this car is the original one, so it may have been swapped for a GE fan. The car is a 7MGTE from the factory however, so it wasn't a GE to GTE swapped car. Anyways, I don't have any overheating issues that I know of based on the stock temp gauge. Minus a self-caused belt failure resulting in the water pump not spinning which almost overheated the engine.

I will also look into any aftermarket options I come across because screw the price that people want for a used one lol.

Reactions: Nolenway

·
Registered
120 Posts
well only way to adjust the fan clutch would be to fill it with the correct viscosity silicone fluid and change the o-ring that seals it.

Remote control car shock oil comes in MANY different grade but will cost you to fill the fan clutch.
you can get it at the dealer as well, they sell three viscosities of oil - 3000, 6000, and 10,000 cSt
08816-03001, 08816-06001, and 08816-10001 respectively. I think our fan hubs got filled with either 3000 or 6000, because I bought a bottle of 10000 and it was a different colour than the oil already in the hub, although I'm not sure if that was because of age. The new oil had a lighter honey colour than the oil inside the clutch.
Don't have to change the o-ring unless it's leaking, if it comes out of its groove just gently push it back in. Also you will definitely need an impact screwdriver to loosen the screws holding the clutch together (#3 phillips), as well as the ones holding the valve adjustment as well (#2 phillips).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts