Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used one in an '87+? I know they use an 80 amp and I am sure there is a good reason. I was thinking of getting the 70 in a pinch. It is a lifetime warranty..... Maybe it will work for a while.... The 80 amp is 2x$ and parts are also expensive. Any info would be appreciated. I would rebuild mine and put it back on when I get $$$ just need somthin to get me bye untill then;) Thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If I'm not mistaken N/A's use a 70 amp alternator, while Turbo models use an 80 amp. Depends on which model you have.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea. Sorry, I should have specified. Mine is a Turbo. The parts store said they went to an 80amp after Feb. '87. I just wondered what the reason was and if the 70 would work in a pinch. Thanks man.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I tend to agree, but for whatever reason they upped the amperage. I also have a stereo so I am a little hesitant to put a smaller amp alt. in. I will prob. do it anyway untill I can get mine rebuilt. Hell, the 70amp has a lifetime warranty so why not;) I just wanted to know if anyone had run into this problem before. Thanks guys:cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't have aftermarket electric radiator fans, you should be fine with the 70 Amp one.

But it will be borderline at idle, if you have lots of accessories turned on at the same time (rear window defogger, lights, heater fan, aftermarket stereo etc.).

Just turn off any accessories you don't need if you find your lights dimming at idle, and it will work.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! I have two words. Lifetime Warranty. Thanks dude;)

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm currently using a 55amp one from an '86 camry..... so far so good... :D

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Sorry to bring back this thread but I have a question... I've been searching around SF about alternator help with no luck... My alternator/battery are brand new, and I've just replaced all my ground wires. The charging system is fine, and the alternator is a 80 amp unit. My issue is that nighttime is a problem because of all my accessories. I'm running dual electric fans, upgraded H4 Hella's, etc etc... Anyhow, at night, my voltage at idle with the lights on is dropping down to low 12's. It bothers me because I get tired of the dimming lights, and it makes me weary to upgrade anything else electric. Are there any alternatives out there? I've seen that PHR offers an upgraded alternator, but I honestly do not wish to pay that much $$$ for an alternator. I just can't see spending $400 on an alternator... Any other alternatives?

- Hams.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
Get the MR2 alternator. I use it, and OneWingedAngel posted a good writeup on it. It specifications rate it at 135A, and the actual test sheet that was included said it produced 153. Not too bad. I paid just over 200 for it after the core, and it has a lifetime warranty:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts