Supra Forums banner

700whp 'unopened' 2jz vvti - prep work required?

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  swing lo 
#1 ·
Guys, need some advice
Power - ~700whp
Fuel - e85
Transmission - manual
Motor - completely stock unopened 2jz vvti, 264 drop in cams

I've been reading everywhere that the 2jz is capable of handling 800whp "unopened", and in some cases more, but to hold reliably all day everyday, 800whp
Is that 800whp with ppl upgrading the head studs and head gasket or is it legitimately standard studs, standard head gasket?

I'm currently doing a 2jz conversion with a power goal of ~700whp and wanted to know if I needed to 'upgrade' anything to be able to handle this reliably all day every day or am I just fine slapping the turbo and cams in and away I go? [will be looking to do the major toyota service kit work - timing belt, oil and water pumps etc]

Thanks for the advice guys

#2 ·
It's not relevant to look at whp. How much torque and how low will it be in the powerband? That's what matters, not some nebulous whp number that is simply a result of torque and rpm.

Forget what you've been reading about 800whp "unopened" and start reading recent posts about what turbo and powerband you're looking to emulate.

#10 ·
I ran a stock bottom end with a 6466 at 700whp/600wtq all summer last year, 10,000kms of abuse. Only mod more than you is upgraded valve springs and retainers. When i built the bottom end this year, i found pistons, rods and bearings like new.

With small turbo like the 6062 you will be fine at 700. Getting a good tuner that can shift the TQ curve to the right would give you some peace of mind.

Ryan

#11 ·
I ran a stock bottom end with a 6466 at 700whp/600wtq all summer last year, 10,000kms of abuse. Only mod more than you is upgraded valve springs and retainers. When i built the bottom end this year, i found pistons, rods and bearings like new.

With small turbo like the 6062 you will be fine at 700. Getting a good tuner that can shift the TQ curve to the right would give you some peace of mind.

Ryan

Key words in your post bolded and underlined.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.