Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Spracingonline.com
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried searching and have been reading up on these turbos, both seem to though down some good numbers, my question is, what would be better a 71 74 to get into deep 10s skim the nines, however i would like to autocross this as well. Ive been reading on the 74 and it seems a bit laggy, but then agian i was considering a 50-80 shot on top of it. Any advise would be great thanks.

·
Registered
814 Posts
your best bet is probably a 74gtq, badass turbo and if you're drag racing you really shouldnt worry about lag to much, a 76 would be even a better choice to me, 2 buddies of mine run a 74gtq and a 76gtq, the one with a 74gtq ran 10.0's MULTIPLE times n never could break into the nines(not the turbos fault) but the 76gtq car ran mid/high nines pretty consistently, im not saying u cant go 9's with a 74 because you most definately can, but a 76 will letcha make a little more power if needed. Also is your car a 6spd or auto? cuz if its auto throw a TH400 in it n shit u could go 9s with a 67mm if ya wanted, 6spd takes a bit more practice n power

·
Registered
117 Posts
ive done 10.00 with a t67p trim many times off the bottle. gonna squirt it [75 shot] on friday to see how deep of a 9 i can get.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
74GTS over a GTQ any day of the week. The GTS wheel is much better and more efficient in its design.

DP

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Those are different wheel designs. I don't believe the X ever made any great accomplishments in the supra community. The GTS is by far the best wheel with either of these size compressor wheels that the thead starter is contemplating.

The GTQ was used about 5 years ago and was successful, but when the GTS came along its overwhelmed the competition.

DP

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
1chic2nv said:
ive done 10.00 with a t67p trim many times off the bottle. gonna squirt it [75 shot] on friday to see how deep of a 9 i can get.
What other supporting mods do you have?

Joe

·
Registered
619 Posts
74 GTS DBB...thats what i would go with...PHR has a whole kit just incase you didnt need the turbo only! must be a dream setup... too awesome

go for a 74

Take care,
Yann

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
BOOSTIN86 said:
and if i consider the 76 why not the 42r?
Sure but it's gonna cost you a $1000 more

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
Taimur said:
Sure but it's gonna cost you a $1000 more
Ditto. Not very cost efficient, IMO.

·
Inline for the win
4,727 Posts
BOOSTIN86 said:
so the 74 u guys think would be a better choice even though i am considering autocross?
No, you should go with a 67 or 71 GTS. Ideally, a 63 would be the best bet for autocrossing and road racing. 74 is too large and will come on too late and too hard for exit the turns.

Leh (professional road racer on the forums) proved this with trying to road race the GSC race car with a 74. Instant wheelspin out of each corner.

DP

·
Boost Junkie
12,613 Posts
Another nice turbo for auto cross (based on what I have heard from a few autocrossers) is the SPSSGT800 that SP sells. It is a 67mm turbo and spools very quickly.

Steve K.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
Evill Supra said:
Another nice turbo for auto cross (based on what I have heard from a few autocrossers) is the SPSSGT800 that SP sells. It is a 67mm turbo and spools very quickly.

Steve K.
Steve the SPSSGT800= GT40-63, just renaming that is all. The 67 is the GT40-67. They will both work great on a roadrace setup.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Suprafied said:
Those are different wheel designs. I don't believe the X ever made any great accomplishments in the supra community. The GTS is by far the best wheel with either of these size compressor wheels that the thead starter is contemplating.

The GTQ was used about 5 years ago and was successful, but when the GTS came along its overwhelmed the competition.

DP
I believe the R-wheel didnt make it big in the supra community b/c the motor couldnt spool it up quick enough since it didnt flow enough. It was more intended for higher displacement motors.
The X is a stepped down R wheel and is also lighter than the GTS wheel but more or less flows similar. Check out braddman making killer numbers on his 74X.

GTQ is a good wheel no doubt, but the GTS is a newer design. The weight of the GTS is far heavier than the GTQ and the X making it lag a bit more, but the GTS definitely makes more power than the GTQ, and similar power to the X.

Someone correct me if im wrong.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
The R-trim wheel is not designed for small cube engines. It should never be used on a 3.0 L, heck its the only wheel on the market with a 100 trim. The X is indeed the R with a step cut onto the blades. All the wheels mentioned are lighter then the S-trim wheel and will outspool it except for the R trim. Also the S-trim is pulled straight out of the GT42 and turned down for the 70-76GTS's.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Anyone run nines with a 71gts 6speed with full weight and no nos?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts