Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started rebuilding my Supra this winter my plans were to go with a 71gtq and stock cams. I had heard from several people that cams would increase lag. After watching MAD TKD's 71gtq (with crower cams) car outspool my stock cam supra I decided to go w/ HKS 264's.

Huge thanks to Doug @ Topspeed in Atlanta for the excellent AEM tuning, BLKMGK for the base map, and Kean @ BL for the turbo kit. My AEM car drives better than it ever has w/ VPC/GCC/Emanage, etc... I see 26-28mpg cruising in 6th on the highway.

Stock block, head, intake, BoostLogic 4in turbo back

Run 14 = 29psi stock cams
Run 17 = 30psi HKS 264's

Here are the results. Hopefully the stock block will last me to next winter if I don't push it.

787rwhp sae

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
over 100rwhp and a little under 100ftlbs from cams and no other changes... nice.... and gains through the whole curve...

jay

·
4,109 Posts
:agreed:
Looks like you actually spool faster with the cams too. Nice job:)

·
Boost Junkie
12,385 Posts
Wow,

Great numbers.

Steve K.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
You bastard!!!!

Grats Clark. Now we know it wasnt a fluke when my car outspooled your non cam car. Awesome man and only 30psi. I wonder what 33psi would yield??

I saw the aem post too. I hope to come back with some DRs next time to dyno.

·
Registered
330 Posts
DAMN! I want cams! I wonder if the results on a small turbo car would be similar? Faster spool on a 60-67mm turbo and a 3800 stall......serious FUN!

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
NICE!!! Congrats on the gain in power...that is crazy.

Did you measure the inside diameter of your dp, mp and catback? I am wondering how close to 4" it actually is.

Again...congrats on the power. Are you going to take it to the track and see what kind of ET & MPH you can get out of it at 30psi?

Take Care

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Wow, very interesting. So is it true that the stock cams start running out of flow at around 700rwhp?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
AWESOME Numbers! What kind of gas did you use, and how much was the a/f ratio? What A/R does your 71GTQ have? and like Tony said, whats the inside diameter of your DP,MP and Catback?

Thx Alot bro, Keep boosting!:D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Was the stock cam setup with AEM tuned by your tuner? It looks like you spool a little too quickly all of a sudden once you added cams. It looks like you gained from tuning and cams if I had to guess without knowing.

·
its a slow auto...
3,363 Posts
silvino said:
Was the stock cam setup with AEM tuned by your tuner? It looks like you spool a little too quickly all of a sudden once you added cams. It looks like you gained from tuning and cams if I had to guess without knowing.
i was wondering this after i made my initial post;)

jay

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
I guess a more specific question would be:

Was the fuel or timing ever altered in any way since your last dyno session when you put down ~700rwhp with stock cams?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I could be wrong but i think his map was the same. I also know his map is a little diff now that he has cams.

When i dyno a couple of weeks ago we could not understand why my car (with cams) spooled faster because i thought too that cams made more lag. When we overlayed the dyno logs it showed it. I also have a the exact same setup except i have a 3.5 DP/MP. I do have to say after doug tuned it and i left the car felt like it did spool faster than my previous map.

Same tuner same dyno. Nothing fishy. Doug is a good tuner period.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I should have posted the 712rwhp stock cam graph together with the 801rwhp. They both used the same timing. 11.2 on the 712 pull and 11.9 on the 801 pull. Doug backed the timing off a little for the street.

Another reason for the jump in power might be the boost. It did spike to 31 and then held 30psi to redline on the 801 run.

Yes my stock cam setup was tuned by Doug. He did 8-10 pulls just tuning the spool when I was on stock cams. With stock cams I was on the AEM. The only thing added was cams. I do not think the spool picked up due to lack of tuning on the stock cams.

My 71gtq has a .81 a/r. I just measured the inner diameter of the downpipe and it was ~3.8inches.

Thanks for your input/questions. Keep em coming. I'm going see how it hooks up today and plan on going to the drag strip April 3rd to see how the trap speed changes from my 11.2 @ 137 run w/ stock cams.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Let us know how it goes clark. I hope to have my wheels back from powder coat next week. Then i can go to the track. Congrats

Wow you can clearly see in that dyno overlay the spool difference and power under the curve.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts