Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I am trying to figure out which turbo to go with here. I wanted the 67GTQ but I can support the 71GTQ with the 865 fuel setup I have. Kean definately suggests the 71 over the 67.

What do you guys think? I want the Q because of the housing. Let me know why you chose what you did.
Thanks all!!

This is on a built auto, AEM, 865 Titan fuel setup.

·
How does my exhaust smell
1,002 Posts
If you got cams, and a 4K or higher stall get the 71. If not get the 67. You will not be unhappy with either.

I have the 67GTQ, AEM, and BL 850cc fuel system. I was a little concerned that the 71GTQ would break my build Toyota tranny so I backed down a little to the 67. Plus I got a killer deal on it :D

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Bad4URHeart said:
If you got cams, and a 4K or higher stall get the 71. If not get the 67. You will not be unhappy with either.

I have the 67GTQ, AEM, and BL 850cc fuel system. I was a little concerned that the 71GTQ would break my build Toyota tranny so I backed down a little to the 67. Plus I got a killer deal on it :D
Keans got 25k miles on a 71gtq(auto) and he beats the hell out of it.. hehe

IMO the gtq is better matched with the 71mm turbo.... but you will need cams to get the full power out of the 71

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will have a stall, I am not sure what size yet. Cams will come later. Will probably do the 264's.

Reasons for asking were the lag and possiblity of breaking the tranny. I dont want to run a th400. I will get the BL and Kean says it will hold up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Racing Fan:
So he is running his tranny and this kit? He has beat on it for 25k miles and still going huh?

He is still running the Alphabet soup on this too isnt he?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've heard the lag on the 71gtq is only 3-400 rpms higher than the 67. True? If so that would mean around 4200-4300 right? This would be on a 6-spd. stock cams.

Considering the proper fuel (850+cc) system, if you don't mind the spool to be in the low 4k's, is there any problem in getting this turbo over the 67gtq? Cams would definitely be added later on to take better advantage of the 71, but in the mean time, stock cams. This would be for someone who would like their HP ceiling raised to mid to high 700's or so, rather than high-600's to low 700's like with the 67.

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Val,
will you post your new results along with a dyno sheet soon? I just saw in your sig you had upped the boost a little! ;)

BoostJunkie94,
if you don't plan on running race gas all the time, the 71 should not be very much harder on the tranny than the 67. The 71 will require you a set of cams, springs and retainers with higher redline to take full advantage of the turbo.

-Olivier

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
BoostJunkie94 said:
any aem users with the 71GTQ?
Keans car is now on the AEM.... stay tuned for new results:)

but for 25k miles, it was on alphabet soup and ran high 9s..... On a sidenote, we pulled the tranny pan off about a month ago and the fluid/tranny pan were CLEAN.. The trans is a very impressive unit.

·
Banned
5,062 Posts
Olivier Caza said:
Val,
will you post your new results along with a dyno sheet soon? I just saw in your sig you had upped the boost a little! ;)

BoostJunkie94,
if you don't plan on running race gas all the time, the 71 should not be very much harder on the tranny than the 67. The 71 will require you a set of cams, springs and retainers with higher redline to take full advantage of the turbo.

-Olivier
i still stink like cat poo

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
racing fan said:
IMO the gtq is better matched with the 71mm turbo.... but you will need cams to get the full power out of the 71
Are you saying that for the T67, you would recommend the P-trim over the Q trim?

And while we're one the subject, which would you guys recommend as the best street turbo with stock cams? I'm debating between the T63, T67P or T67GTQ.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Oliver:

Why are you saying the 71 will REQUIRE a set of cams, springs, retainers and higher redline? It hits full boost at 4200 rpms on Alphabet soup. I am running an aem so I hope bring that down a few rpms.

I think full boost at even 4200 to 7400 would be sufficient. If you know something I dont then please let me know.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Greg Bielawski said:
Are you saying that for the T67, you would recommend the P-trim over the Q trim?

And while we're one the subject, which would you guys recommend as the best street turbo with stock cams? I'm debating between the T63, T67P or T67GTQ.
yes, on the 67

best street turbo=67ptrim .68 the "goldilox" turbo

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
racing fan said:
yes, on the 67

best street turbo=67ptrim .68 the "goldilox" turbo
How would the T67 .68 compare to the T63 or T67GTQ spool wise (both .68)? I know the T67 makes about 50 more Hp than the 63 and T67 GTQ makes about 50 hp mroe thant he 67P.

I should also mention that I plan to stay with stock cams, rev limiter and internals....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Racing Fan, I'm interested in why you say that the P trim is better than the Q trim for the 67.

Val, those new numbers are completely insane through an auto. I assume they were achieved with the TC locked up right? Why do you want to switch to the 71, is the 67 already "too slow" for you?

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
VeilsideTT said:
Racing Fan, I'm interested in why you say that the P trim is better than the Q trim for the 67.

I'm jsut a fan of the smaller hot side wheels with a larger compressor side... I think its a better combo. If I had staged turbo kits... stage 1 would have the 67 ptrim and stage 2 would have the 71gtq. The lost spool/gained hp is better on the 71gtq vs a 67gtq

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Without an extended rev limiter, the 71 will be slower than a smaller turbo car. Springs/retianers are highly recommended for this. If you are in there, do the cams as the 71 will for sure benifit from this and more so than a 67. If you have no intention of springs/retainers/revs/cams, get a 63.

Adam

1 - 20 of 85 Posts