Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago, I recently heard my 71GTQ whining like a squealing dying pig right after 1 bar of boost. After that I have only driven the car for less then 50 miles. It has less then 1500 miles total on this turbo. Now it whines like a squealing pig everytime I get in boost. The turbine moves freely when I spin it by hand. I removed the turbo this morning and to my surprise, I found all the fins on the exhuast side on the rear of the turbine damaged. To me it seems like the fins rubbed inside the housing but who knows. Can someone with knowledge please tell me what going on with my turbo? Here are some pics, I will try to take better ones.

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
That is not the turbo's fault.... something went thru the turbo... like a valve seat or spark plug electrode. That is physical damage. Check the tune.... My guess is wrong octane... too lean.....

When a turbo goes bad and the bearings fail... if the turbine hits the housing , it shaves itself down smoothly.

Your turbo had parts go thru it at high speed.

Sorry, but it will not be covered under warranty either. No turbo is for physical damage.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense. But wouldn't the front of the fins be damaged too because that foreign object need to exit throught the turbine. The front of the fins are perfect. Its just wierd its jagged like that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can tell you this much. When I recieved the turbo brand new. I was never able to remove the cartridge from the exhuast housing. It was impossible. I was able to pull out the cartridge a few centimeters out and it would get stuck. While it was stuck the wheel wouldn't not spin. Don't know how hard it would be to remove the cartridge from the exhaust housing, but few people said it should just come right out especially brand new, never installed.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
tntperformance said:
That makes sense. But wouldn't the front of the fins be damaged too because that foreign object need to exit throught the turbine. The front of the fins are perfect. Its just wierd its jagged like that.
the object came from the engine, not the intake...out the header, up the collector, through the turbo, exiting the exhaust...the intake portion will not be affected.

Jason

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
tntperformance said:
I can tell you this much. When I recieved the turbo brand new. I was never able to remove the cartridge from the exhuast housing. It was impossible. I was able to pull out the cartridge a few centimeters out and it would get stuck. While it was stuck the wheel wouldn't not spin. Don't know how hard it would be to remove the cartridge from the exhaust housing, but few people said it should just come right out especially brand new, never installed.
A turbo when new should ALWAYS come apart freely. It should also spin freely as well. If not then 2 things are wrong. Either the clearences are wrong or the torque on the shaft nut is to much.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
he means the front/top whatever of the exhaust side wheel. Not the intake side.

And no they wouldnt neccesarily be damaged as well. The lower portion of the vanes sit farther out in the housing than the upper portion. So it being a small object would fly past without doing much damage to the upper portion but eat up the lower portion pretty well as you can tell just by lookin at the pic.

Alex

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will get a better pic of the damage. But the damage on each fin starts on the same spot on each fin on the wheel. In the housing I can see where it scraped but my camera sucks and its too fuzzy. Anyways its fucked. I need a new turbo. Flying object would damage the all over the damn place. The cartridge would not even budge from the exhaust housing brand new. I never could remove it, it was stuck.

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
Alx2785 said:
he means the front/top whatever of the exhaust side wheel. Not the intake side.

And no they wouldnt neccesarily be damaged as well. The lower portion of the vanes sit farther out in the housing than the upper portion. So it being a small object would fly past without doing much damage to the upper portion but eat up the lower portion pretty well as you can tell just by lookin at the pic.

Alex

Correct typically its the inducer side of the wheel that gets damaged.

TNT, as for your turbo being hosed....nahh, all it needs is a new turbine, rebuild kit and be assembly high speed balanced. No big deal...

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
JZ 97 SS 1500 said:
A turbo when new should ALWAYS come apart freely. It should also spin freely as well. If not then 2 things are wrong. Either the clearences are wrong or the torque on the shaft nut is to much.

How freely should it spin? Its not ball bearing.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
tntperformance said:
Wow, unbelievable! We purchased the same exact turbo around the same time last yr and had it fail around the same time this yr. I hear you on removing the exhaust housing too. When mine was brand new, I couldn't remove it either. What gives?

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
if that was the case, you should have contacted the supplier and let them know, without doing that, how can they help you!
If there is something wrong, and you suspect its the turbo, notify them straight away, as if you did, that would of helped in this case then, as they would of known about it...
I agree, the parts/housings should be able to remove from each other with ease.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sounds like the turbine wheel was hitting the houseing if he can see the scrap marks. If that is the case, and your sure it is just a bad turbo, Send it back to who you got it from for a new one.

If they refuse to exchange it, take it up with your credit card company.

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
Did you call PTE about your turbo?

I got a call about a 71 from them and I have some news for you so call me Monday. Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did call them. But I sent out the turbo to them. They should get it by Thursday. I will call you Monday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts