Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody seen the latest Motor Trend? At 6 psi the twin turbo GTS belts out 725 RWHP, 790 Torque....also says a stock GTS puts down 410 RWHP (I have heard as high as 425 though). They said with more boost and fuel 1000 BPH on the twin GTS is possible...your all thoughts? Why such low PSI? Will the engine explode with much more :)

Also the article says the Venom 650 puts down 560 rwhp and a 700 Venom puts down 607 rwhp. Thats nothing compared to some of your single T cars but how many on the list have higher than 725 rwhp....maybe a dozen?

What are the higest dyno's? Who is in the 750 rwhp+ club?

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Turk:
<STRONG>Anybody seen the latest Motor Trend? At 6 psi the twin turbo GTS belts out 725 RWHP, 790 Torque....also says a stock GTS puts down 410 RWHP (I have heard as high as 425 though). They said with more boost and fuel 1000 BPH on the twin GTS is possible...your all thoughts? Why such low PSI? Will the engine explode with much more :)

Also the article says the Venom 650 puts down 560 rwhp and a 700 Venom puts down 607 rwhp. Thats nothing compared to some of your single T cars but how many on the list have higher than 725 rwhp....maybe a dozen?

What are the higest dyno's? Who is in the 750 rwhp+ club?</STRONG>
I am....not, lol. No where close really, but I can dream can't I. :D

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Not too many MKIV's in the 750+ rwhp club but Saad Saad and Bryce Danna are two of them. I'm sure Jarrett Humphrey's PHR drag Supra is easily there, and Larry Prebis and Marko's cars from Sound Performance are likely right there as well.

We'll see more and more of them at that level of tuning. Just takes some money and a good tuner to make it happen...and for far less money than Mr. Hennessey charges with the Viper conversions. :)

Steve

A

·
0 Posts
My Camry's in the 750+ rwhp club... :rolleyes:
The engine probably won't explode with more boost, but the driver might want to wear a firesuit to protect from the heat of the engine. :D

W

·
0 Posts
It is amazing such engine make that much power from only 6 pounds of boost. I dont think the engine can take much more boost - I doubt it can take double digits pounds of boost (unless the engine internals are made of high strength/weight material, which can cost an arm and leg), just due to the fact that 8.0L engine has a lot of reciprocating mass in it. But hey, I don't mind making 1000 rwhp @ 10 psi, no problem at all :)

I want to be in the 750 rwhp club!!!!!! :)

N

·
0 Posts
Vinny Ten's drag Supra is making 1200hp and Craig Paisley is around 900. The east coast is where the Supras are turning the best times. The reason the Hennessey package cost so much money is because they dont just modify the engine. They do the suspension,brakes and also the aerodynamics to withstand speeds over 200mph. I doubt you could build a Supra that performs on an all around basis like the Viper for less money. Add up what it would cost to build the bottom end of a Supra,fuel,turbo,intercooler,brakes,suspension,etc.....Im not knocking the Supra at all because I own one and absolutely love it but you can simply get more power out of a Viper motor than a Supra motor.

B

·
0 Posts
760+rwhp Clint's SC300TT.
760+rwhp Daren's .
That Mike Swinetek 870+rwhp.
Ara 700+rwhp
Noel 730rwhp
Ara's friend with the 750+rwhp Hks Gt2835
Isnt Ryan woon close too?

B

·
0 Posts
Forgot UPRD 900rwhp (I think)
Oh yeah, Obviously PHR-Single on these boards is putting down some massive rwhp since his car ran the 1/8th @ 116mph (wouldnt that be 150's?)

[ April 07, 2001: Message edited by: The Great one ]

G

·
0 Posts
The viper has lower compression to take all that boost. But I don't think the engine is built.

Personally I think its a ripoff to call a car a venom 800 if it only puts down 700+ hp. Kinda like that 650 vette that only put down 510. For that kinda money if it put down 799 I'd be telling them to take it back and find be that last dang hp.

P

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by The Great one:
<STRONG>Forgot UPRD 900rwhp (I think)
Oh yeah, Obviously PHR-Single on these boards is putting down some massive rwhp since his car ran the 1/8th @ 116mph (wouldnt that be 150's?)

[ April 07, 2001: Message edited by: The Great one ]</STRONG>
Hmmm...yes - yes it is making some big power. I will have some new dyno pulls (on a Mustang dyno though) @ 35psi by Tuesday.

Jay

·
0 Posts
Motor Trend said that compression was lowered by modifying the combustion chambers on the head. It claimed 25-30% more flow out of the head, and 9:1 compression. I like my stock head better :D

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
He should have called it a Venom 830R. Those are crank hp numbers, if it makes 725 rwhp then it makes around 830 crank hp, the 800 is an underrated crank number...

Originally posted by greensoup2:
<STRONG>The viper has lower compression to take all that boost. But I don't think the engine is built.

Personally I think its a ripoff to call a car a venom 800 if it only puts down 700+ hp. Kinda like that 650 vette that only put down 510. For that kinda money if it put down 799 I'd be telling them to take it back and find be that last dang hp.</STRONG>

V

·
0 Posts
Sounds cool, but they would get a mudhole stomped in them by the typical 1,500HP Mustang that competes in the Pro 5 series. :p

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Ken:
<STRONG>Vinny Ten's drag Supra is making 1200hp and Craig Paisley is around 900. The east coast is where the Supras are turning the best times. The reason the Hennessey package cost so much money is because they dont just modify the engine. They do the suspension,brakes and also the aerodynamics to withstand speeds over 200mph. I doubt you could build a Supra that performs on an all around basis like the Viper for less money. Add up what it would cost to build the bottom end of a Supra,fuel,turbo,intercooler,brakes,suspension,etc.....Im not knocking the Supra at all because I own one and absolutely love it but you can simply get more power out of a Viper motor than a Supra motor.</STRONG>
Paisely said his supra will be putting out like 1000hp this season. I'm looking forward to see it run.

Z

·
0 Posts
Yes in the long run the Viper will make more horse power than the supra, but just. Proves how poorly engineered it is when a car with almost 1/3 it's displacement, and four less cylinders, can produce similar horsepower numbers.

Quite clearly for the street there is a replacement for displacement, some of us call it technology.

Brains over Braun!

P.S. I drive an American car, so that says something.

L

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Z71:
<STRONG>Yes in the long run the Viper will make more horse power than the supra, but just. Proves how poorly engineered it is when a car with almost 1/3 it's displacement, and four less cylinders, can produce similar horsepower numbers.

Quite clearly for the street there is a replacement for displacement, some of us call it technology.

Brains over Braun!

P.S. I drive an American car, so that says something.</STRONG>
Wait, you think the viper is poorly enginered? And what are you doing parphrasing "The only replacement for Displacement is Technology". IT's not your quote so don't act like you just made it up. I drive an American car and I'm damn proud, I will be getting an import and I'll be damn proud to own that too. You can't stereotype cars, I hate it when people do that. :mad:

A

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by The Great one:
<STRONG>760+rwhp Clint's SC300TT.
760+rwhp Daren's .
That Mike Swinetek 870+rwhp.
Ara 700+rwhp
Noel 730rwhp
Ara's friend with the 750+rwhp Hks Gt2835
Isnt Ryan woon close too?</STRONG>
We put down 908 rwhp at 26psi w/o the Edelbrock nitrous system with our lexus sc300...
:)

T

·
0 Posts
Don't they have something at suprastore.com with the highest RWHP and 1/4 times. PHR has 2 1000+ RWHP cars I believe with the highest at 1024rwhp(?).

P

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Area51tuner:
<STRONG>We put down 908 rwhp at 26psi w/o the Edelbrock nitrous system with our lexus sc300...
:)</STRONG>
Hey...do all out race cars count>!?!? :)
But [email protected] Lord, I can't wait to see this thing!

Jay

P

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Mimo-T63:
<STRONG>Hey Jay(PHR-SINGLE),

what numbers are you expecting at 35 psi?? What da ya think 820-840rwhp at 36 psi??</STRONG>
I hate to speculate...however, I don't think 800rwhp @ 35-36psi is out of the question.
Perhaps I could spray my way to 1000rwhp HA!

Once I dyno @ 35psi (on the Mustang Dyno), I would really like to do the same pull on a Dyno-Jet to compare.

I have heard that a dyno-jet often reads upto 10% higer than a Mustang...

Jay

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.