Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to tune my car at a friends shop until Justin Nenni comes here in a few weeks. I had him do a conservative tune at low boost. The car made 451whp at 14psi of boost with an A/F ratio of 11.3 and a max timing of 16. This was on a Dynapack dyno. I was pretty happy with the results considering it was a dynapck and I was running only 14psi. Do you guys believe this turbo spools the same like my old 71GTQ? I couldn't believe it. I will post the graph when my buddy uploads it to me.

·
3,466 Posts
weird, my experience with dynapacks are usually higher numbers than a dynojet.

Turn up the boost!

·
Registered
122 Posts
i currently have a sp71gts and have been thinking of changing down, i get full spool at 4800rpm and starts at 3400rpm, is the sp74dbb really as good as the 71 ?? what ar are you running ?. is it a ITS OR SP ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
would you say that going from the 71gtq to the 74dbb x-trim was a good move on the driveability of the car ??. iam looking for a turbo that will give me good midrang /top end power, i had a sp67 before, it just didnt give you that bum in the seat feel, the 71 spools really fast after 4500rpm...

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Peter, give me a heads up when you're doing that crap dude!!! You never learn...

Good numbers. Once it hits over 20 psi and gets into its real efficiency zone, it should perform quite well. :)

-Olivier

·
Inline6Performance
1,482 Posts
Ryan has apoint, he actually wanted me to go with the 76BB. I was afraid of lag. With the 74BB, driveability is excellent. It all depends on your wants. If you want a great power band and plenty of power, the 74BB is an excellent street turbo. I love mine.

Mike
I told you that you would love it Pete. Glad you listened to me and got the 74dbb. NunezTT will tell you that I know my shit. We spoke about the 74DBB and as you see he is a happy camper.
Turn up the boost and post some numbers.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I run an ITS GT74DBB with .70AR hotside, and made 471hp @12.8psi SAE running pump fuel on a dynojet (I am running stock cams, stock block, stock ECU+mapecu).

I make 5 psi at like 2200 rpm and spool at 3800-4100rpm. I could not think of a better street turbo than what I have. The ITS GT74dbb is just a fantastic turbo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
twinturbopete is justin doing your car only or are you lookin for more to share the cost.also when you guys are talking positive boost and rpm are you on the dyno in fourth gear or are you on the street.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
I run an ITS GT74DBB with .70AR hotside, and made 471hp @12.8psi SAE running pump fuel on a dynojet (I am running stock cams, stock block, stock ECU+mapecu).

I make 5 psi at like 2200 rpm and spool at 3800-4100rpm. I could not think of a better street turbo than what I have. The ITS GT74dbb is just a fantastic turbo.
actully im likeing those numbers. What was the cost on that turbo if you dont mind me asking? ONly reason i ask is because they still want a lot for the 71dbb.

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
I believe it. I ran that turbo 4-5 years ago and loved it. The GTQ wheels are lazy and would never run one.

I've always said the 74DBB turbo from ITS is one of the best turbos out there still.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
also when you guys are talking positive boost and rpm are you on the dyno in fourth gear or are you on the street.
It really doesn't matter, I seam to build positive pressure at about the same point, I just build more boost, faster on the street than I do on the dyno.

I believe it. I ran that turbo 4-5 years ago and loved it. The GTQ wheels are lazy and would never run one.

I've always said the 74DBB turbo from ITS is one of the best turbos out there still.
I agree Ryan, if you are looking to make about 750-800hp on boost, you just can not beat the ITS GT74DBB.

I should be getting tuned this week, and will have some good 18psi & 30 psi numbers. I'll post up the sheets.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
so is the 71dbb now going to be the best street turbo?
I had a 71Qdbb about 2 yrs ago...lol....i would recommend the 74dbb over that any day. The power curve is the same from 0-4Krpm but after 4K the 74 really takes off and makes more power.

When on the street I remember making 14-15psi at 4K in 4th with this turbo.

The ITS "X" wheel is similar to the garrett "S" wheel, only difference is the ITS wheel is A LOT lighter making the spool up much better. Also it makes about 20rwhp less, but is still good for over 1000rwhp.

Gadfly arent you worried about the backpressure from the 70a/r at high boost levels.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sure; if I was going for all out top end, but because i road race I use the smaller A/R housing to shift the power band a few hundred rpm lower.

It is a good combo, stupid fast spool, great mid band torque, and still yield a good top end well into the 700's; though I have thought about trying a .81A/R housing to see what diffrence it makes.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts