Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
From what I remember they are VERY close in weight. I dont know the exact amount. but just to let ya know... your really not gonna save any weight with one engine over the other. (IIRC)

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
cmon everyone knows teh torqueless wonder of the 1j's secret to being soo torqueless is cuz it weighs 80 tons..gosh!!:p

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,150 Posts
1jz if fking heavy thats for sure...4 grown men trying to lift that fuk#er and it was heavy as hell still.

them turbos aint light.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
ZaZZn said:
1jz if fking heavy thats for sure...4 grown men trying to lift that fuk#er and it was heavy as hell still.

them turbos aint light.
Fucken eh. Mind you that was a fully assembled 1J.

And I believe it was 5 guys.

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
the 7mgte weighs close to 500 lbs-494 without intercooler piping, dp, wiring harness, injectors, power steering pump and throttle body. I can't remember if that is the weight with or without the a/c compressor. I just shipped one out a few weeks ago, and that was how much she weighed.

·
Union Proud
656 Posts
My 7m-gte with manifolds shipped at 214lbs without turbos. It had TB, both manifolds, and a complete head. 214 lbs according to RL Carriers. The 7m does not weigh anything remotely close to 500 lbs.

As far as weight relative to the 1JZ, any weight gains will be countered by power gains, especially on the 1JZ-GTE.

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
Tska said:
My 7m-gte with manifolds shipped at 214lbs without turbos. It had TB, both manifolds, and a complete head. 214 lbs according to RL Carriers. The 7m does not weigh anything remotely close to 500 lbs.

As far as weight relative to the 1JZ, any weight gains will be countered by power gains, especially on the 1JZ-GTE.
you got a deal. tell me how 4 grown men have problems trying to lift a 214 lb engine off of a truck. their scale is broken.

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Tska said:

Lol, if you have any more of those lightweight engines I'll take 2!
I think what you meant to say is that it was 214 kg.

According to my sources a 1992 7M (with manual trans) = 212 KG
and a 1994 2JZ (with manual trans) = 252 KG.

For the math impaired, that's 466 lbs and 554 lbs, respectively. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand genades, but it's a whole lot closer to 500 lbs than 214 lbs.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i know the short block for the 7m (no head or ANYTHING weighs in at 265lbs. I can lift the short block myself. Now add the head and all that and it quickly starts to pack on weight ;)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok kewl, so the 1JZ is heavier then the 7M.

The only reason I ask is because I have springs for the MA70 with 7MGTE and I am getting a 1JZ swapped into it, so Im thinking I will need to get harder springs for the difference in engine weight.

What do you think?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't think so. I can't see the 1JZ being any lighter than a 2JZ.

2JZ-GTE Alone 594 lbs
+ Getrag Six Speed 746lbs

N

·
0 Posts
Clifton said:
I don't think so. I can't see the 1JZ being any lighter than a 2JZ.

2JZ-GTE Alone 594 lbs
+ Getrag Six Speed 746lbs
the 1jz has a slightly smaller engine block

also the turbos are smaller and have ceramic turbine blades, not much of a difference but it adds up

·
1JZ BLING
2,604 Posts
r154 is fairly light though, i can pick it up and carry it around myself. Plus both motors have it, so it doesnt count.

·
Registered
454 Posts
psychot|K said:
I dunno about this... tons of people say that after they do the 1JZ swap, the front fender gap goes up by 1/2 - 1/4 of an inch. I say the 1JZ is lighter and cooler and more JDM TYTE.
There's an accurate way to compare weight.

I got this from an archive Celica list.

1JZ GTE, 645 lbs for the engine and trans.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts