Supra Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
psychot|K said:
I dunno about this... tons of people say that after they do the 1JZ swap, the front fender gap goes up by 1/2 - 1/4 of an inch. I say the 1JZ is lighter and cooler and more JDM TYTE.
Nope, sorry. The bigger bore spacing and extra turbo add up to more weight. If their fender gap is increasing, it's likely that the springs haven't settled yet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So is it likley that I will need JZA70 springs because I now have a 1JZ engine?

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
Fabbz said:
So is it likley that I will need JZA70 springs because I now have a 1JZ engine?
No, unneeded. I'd bet they're the same springs anyway. The weight difference is equivolent to having a 5th grader in your front seat. Hardly enough to change your suspension for.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fantastic, thanks for your help, thats all I needed to know.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
I think that 1JZ's are lighter.

Check comparsions for TURBO A mk3's and 2.5 R's. You'll see that the TT R is about 3200 lbs w/ lighter seats and no options. That means, if the 1JZ engine is heavier, then you can save more than 400 lbs on accersories that you can toss out (except the targa).

Off the top of my head, 2.5 R's :
no a/c
no abs
hardtop only
lighter interior; seats f/r
different suspension (not sure if lighter)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Joseph

·
Registered
454 Posts
perf0rmance said:

Check comparsions for TURBO A mk3's and 2.5 R's. You'll see that the TT R is about 3200 lbs w/ lighter seats and no options. That means, if the 1JZ engine is heavier, then you can save more than 400 lbs on accersories that you can toss out (except the targa).

no a/c
no abs
hardtop only

-Joseph

Did you read all of the posts?

"I got this from an archive Celica list so can't verify.
1JZ GTE, 645 lbs for the engine and trans.

This was weighed on intercomp scales and is dead on: 7MGTE complete with ac compressor/wiring and R154 is 640 lbs."

·
Dissident
1,087 Posts
perf0rmance said:

no a/c
no abs
hardtop only

-Joseph
Where are you getting your weight figures for the Turbo A nd the 2.5R?
For the record, here's the weights of options in KG:
ABS: 9
TEMS: 3.8
Power Seats: 6.8
Leather: 3.5
Targa: 12
Sunroof: 14
10 Speaker System: 9.5

Thus, the difference between stripper and fully loaded is about 100 lbs (assuming same engine, same trans). If there really is a signifcant difference between the two, I'd suggest that it is in other areas of the car, as it has been shown SEVERAL times that the JZ engines are HEAVIER than M engines.

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
limequat said:
Where are you getting your weight figures for the Turbo A nd the 2.5R?
For the record, here's the weights of options in KG:
ABS: 9
TEMS: 3.8
Power Seats: 6.8
Leather: 3.5
Targa: 12
Sunroof: 14
10 Speaker System: 9.5

Thus, the difference between stripper and fully loaded is about 100 lbs (assuming same engine, same trans). If there really is a signifcant difference between the two, I'd suggest that it is in other areas of the car, as it has been shown SEVERAL times that the JZ engines are HEAVIER than M engines.
Check about again the 100 lb difference. The hardtop to targa comparison is about 80 lbs alone. Don't forget that the ABS stuff includes hubs, sensors, brake lines, wires and computer.

Ask Dr. Jones about what I have posted.

-Joseph

21 - 28 of 28 Posts