Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I blew my car's bottom end, I've been looking at the costs for building up a 7M-GTE, to get an idea for prices. What were your prices for:

A. Block:
1. Honing, boring if needed?
2. Deck resurfacing?
3. Crank journal grind?
4. Crankshaft polish (spun rod)
5. Rod shot peening and treatment
6. Bare parts costs for rings, bearings?
B. Head:
1. Resurface?
2. Valve seals?
3. Shimming
4. Valve job (3 angle? 5 angle?)

That does it. Any and all help is very much appreciated. Thank you and God bless!

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
well obviously a lot of this depends on your machine shop...but here i have a very good machine shop and the prices would be as follows for everything:

A. Block: depends on where you get one...i found a block and head for $200 (you know who you are ;) )
1. Honing, boring if needed?: $30
2. Deck resurfacing?: $100
3. Crank journal grind?: dont know never done it
4. Crankshaft polish (spun rod): again never done it so dont know
5. Rod shot peening and treatment: $90
6. Bare parts costs for rings, bearings?: my place gets them for $85 for both
B. Head: see price on A
1. Resurface? $40
2. Valve seals? comes in gasket kits....id say about $20 otherwise??
3. Shimming: dont know havent done it
4. Valve job (3 angle? 5 angle?): $120

ive found my machine shops prices are usually on the cheap end AND they do gorgeous work...guess im lucky...

BOTTOM LINE:
$685+ the things i dont know about.....not too bad...i myself with be doing something similar to this once i pick up my block and head.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ouch. The machine work alone will send me to the poor house! (wait, scratch that, i'm already in the poor house).

Thanks everyone. I guess I should just look for a used/JDM 7M-GTE instead.

·
0 Posts
Just remeber that $750 will cost you about $250 in shipping. Then if you don't have a loading dock add $150 more for a lift gate truck.
Good luck.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
87Tmk3 said:
Just remeber that $750 will cost you about $250 in shipping. Then if you don't have a loading dock add $150 more for a lift gate truck.
Good luck.
bah! i got my jdm engine home in my pos sante fe! hell yeah that thing is a champ! stuck the engine host onto it while it was ni the suv still....got a little weight off of it and pull it right out no problem! :) too bad the damn thing was broken to begin with urgh....

·
27836-12121
1,310 Posts
Thermactor said:
Ouch. The machine work alone will send me to the poor house! (wait, scratch that, i'm already in the poor house).

Thanks everyone. I guess I should just look for a used/JDM 7M-GTE instead.
:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
This is what My local shop charged me about 2 months ago and about the same last week for rebuilding another engine

A. Block:
1. Honing, boring if needed? $5x6
2. Deck resurfacing? $100
3. Crank journal grind? Didn't Need it
4. Crankshaft polish (spun rod) $60
5. Rod shot peening and treatment $50 (Glass Beed Pistons/Rods)
6. Bare parts costs for rings, bearings? Ring set $104, Mains $96, Rods $45
B. Head:
1. Resurface? $35
2. Valve seals? $60
3. Shimming
4. Valve job (3 angle? 5 angle?) $340 With Adjusting the Valves.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
would the prices be altered for an NA at all? i'm thinking about completely refurbing my 7mge and throwing in some pistons. whats a good brand/make?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was lucky enough to find a long block that had been rebuilt the the original owner did not have enough to pay for the entire job after it was finished. I picked up a long block with .20 over forged pistons, new bearing, head with 5 way etc etc. total under 1500 delivered. about 6 months ago on e-bay a guy was selling all the parts that already had the work done. this went for somewhere in the 1200 range. Be patient and keep your eyes open you can save some $$$ doing this. I personally did not want to go the JDM route. seemed like I might as well just rebuild what I have. to much unknow with the JDM.

Good luck. if I can help you with anything give me a PM

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
144 Posts
damn you guys have the highest prices on machine work...

for the head you can get a brand enw rebuilt ready to go cylinder head fron CHI (cylinder heads international) for 420$ that takes care of the head..

the block if you going stock should beabout 350$ in machine work,
that would consist of
bore & Hone
crank polish
hot tank
magnafluxing
oil gallery pressure cleaning
oil pump bearing install
and deck surface machining
Connecting Rods Recondition

the prices for parts a bottom end rebuild kit on the 7mge we did cost 188$ for the entire gasket kit if i remember right that all the gaskets,

about 100$ for the main and rod bearings
Pistons and rings were like 200$

that covers all your bases

420$ for cylinder Head
350$ for machine work (this is high it costs me 200$ flat but i bumped it up for different areas)
another 400$ for new parts..

my local machien shop does ceramic coating also so my next motor will get the full treatment..

Bill

·
Registered
144 Posts
prices are almost never specific for bottom end work to certain motors other then cylinder size..

4 cylinder = x
6cylinder = x
inline 6 =x
v8 =x

etc you get the idea..
now the parts will vary (i hope you knew that already)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts