Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine who just bought a Supra 1986 called Me today because his engine started making nasty noises after a little trip to the highway.
He told Me it started with a "tik-tik-tik-tik" from the engine but stopped after a few seconds. A short moment after this sound accured it started again and suddenly the engine completly stopped! It coulden't even turn!.
So I drove out to meet Him on the Highway. We started it and slowly the "tik-tik-tik-tik" encreased in volume and the engine stopped again!

I would like to hear the expercts here on the board what it could be? I blame the con-rod bearing?

Ps. From Saterday morning to Sunday afternoon the engine used approx. 1L oil, maybe more.

Steffen
Denmark.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No can do MnDriver.

The 1JZ can't be used on the streets in Denmark.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
^o that sucks. I would go 7mgte, but all up to your freind, Good luck on your decision on the engine

·
Search
3,303 Posts
Don't make the same mistake as me.

I spun a rod bearing within four hours of buying my car (yes i checked/filled the oil)

i rebuild the GE... HUGE mistake. Should have bought and rebuilt a GTE...

yes, in my opinion, that's the way to go :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Its just a reason to go turbo :)

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol no offense but why the hell would you rebuild a n/a. unless for a high compression one or gas milage?, but just go turbo, lol

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
im rebuilding my NA because i had one lying around for free. plus it was a good experience. spen 250 dollars for all new bearings and gaskets. eventually im going 1jz. but if you have the time and money get some boost

BTW dosent seem like a rod bearing. generally those are more of a slap not a tick might be stuck lifters. but either way rod bearing knock is just that a pretty violent knock

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
IMO the NA is a good learner vehicle. If you're over NA power and can't go jz, then swap in a 7M-GTE. But rebuild it, and get all the necessary supporting mods.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just talked to My friend with the Sup. A guy offered him a 7M-GTE for approx. 1300$ + installation :bigthumb:

Sounds pretty good to Me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts