Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a freshly rebuilt 7m-ge with about 3k miles on it. The engine is taping at idle and get louder with increase of rpm. At first I though it was rodknock but when I started taking off the exhaust mani i noticed 3 of the bolts were extreamly loose and 2 of them were stripped. Could a bad exhaust leak at the manifold cause a knocking sound? i drove the car around for about 20 minutes the other day and everything was fine except for the knocking sound. let me know what u guys think. thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
An exhaust leak between the head and the manifold will cause an audible TICK TICK TICK noise. So are you sure its not a tick tick tick or a knock knock?

·
Registered
419 Posts
thats a very common problem with these engines rod knock. i had more rod knock then bhg.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
CalgarySupra said:
thats a very common problem with these engines rod knock. i had more rod knock then bhg.

:rolleyes: its not common with THESE engines...its common with engines that lack oil or are built wrong....

T

·
0 Posts
this might sound kinda stupid but...hwo does a rod knock sound? i know rod + knock but... how's it sound?

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
its like someone is knocking on a metal door with a metal tool. hard.

My friends 240sx had a vavle ticking. Dumb ass didn't wanna pull the head off to inspect. 1 months later Rod knock then blown motor. Tick went to DONK Klang BOOM!.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts