Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. Why is it that when it comes to buying a 7MGE many people would only offer 600 or so dollars for it but when it comes to a 7MGTE they will fork out 3 grand. Can a turbo and a Targa top make that much of a difference?I've seen GTEs with an ok interior and exterior go for 3000. Then there is my GE with like an excellent interior and just need a fresh coat of paint and some minor work and this guy wants too offer 600. I understand having a turbo is a good thing but I don't understand how it can make or break the value of the car. I'm trying to sell mine and I posted a thread asking what people would offer for it and the offers were low, someone even said that I would get more parting out the car then selling it, how can that be? I want to hear everyones opinion because I just do not understand why this happens because on KBB with the milage and condition my car is in is worth around 2000. So please leave your 2 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The obvious reason is that turbo cars imo are tuner friendly. To me, there's no real point in buying a Supra if it isn't a turbo because that's where all the fun (and sometimes pain and suffering) is. People are not going to spend whatever the price is on KBB just because the guide says so. Realistically speaking, people would want to spend their hard earned money based on their own feelings and desire, not really based on the price on the book.

·
Just some newb.
1,327 Posts
The obvious reason is that turbo cars imo are tuner friendly. To me, there's no real point in buying a Supra if it isn't a turbo because that's where all the fun (and sometimes pain and suffering) is. People are not going to spend whatever the price is on KBB just because the guide says so. Realistically speaking, people would want to spend their hard earned money based on their own feelings and desire, not really based on the price on the book.
I don't truly understand the tuner friendly ordeal. If your going to mod a car heavily what does it matter if it started life as an NA or a Turbo?

I would say its mostly for the allure of having a turbo car. Even though the NA's have proven to be very reliable.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't truly understand the tuner friendly ordeal. If your going to mod a car heavily what does it matter if it started life as an NA or a Turbo?

I would say its mostly for the allure of having a turbo car. Even though the NA's have proven to be very reliable.
to take a NA motor and turn it into a REAL turbo motor... cost a few grand... gota have new pistons... gota ( to be corect) have block machined for squirters... gota buy a turbo.... a good used ct26 fetches 250+
then theres the usless oil cooler on turbos...then the cost of a intercooler....

Simple fact you can take a turbo car pay 3k for it.. and lets say motor is good... spend another 3k on motor and have a rocket ship from hell.....

now take a na car you spend 600 for... and any car for 600 is gona be a rag...usally... spend 3k on na motor to make it a good turbo motor.......

ther is not getting around it.. turbo cars... no mater what car.. will always fetch more...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand the tuner part....im not saying that someone has to buy one for the KBB price, but I just dont see why just because it doesnt have a turbo they will pay nothing for it. I got my car for 600 with a rod knock, my dad bought another one for 500 I think which got T-boned, I swapped out the engine from the crashed one and put it in mine. So see there is no way I would sell a running car that is in good condition for the same price that I paid when it had a rod knock.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the car is in good shape, it should bring more than 600. People are gonna low-ball you no matter what the case. I bought an NA MT hardtop 89 w/ 60k a year ago that had been sitting dormant in a neighbor's driveway since 1998. It was wrecked in the front, sitting on 4 flats, covered in so much mold that it looked black rather than white and needed a gas tank (among other things). Spent less than 1k fixing everything and it turned out awesome. I started out asking 3200 (optimistic, I know, but I was anticipating the low-ballers) and had several offers of 2500 before I f*&$ing wrecked it; I ended up selling it for 1800, thus breaking even.

It's all about finding the market man.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the car is in good shape, it should bring more than 600. People are gonna low-ball you no matter what the case. I bought an NA MT hardtop 89 w/ 60k a year ago that had been sitting dormant in a neighbor's driveway since 1998. It was wrecked in the front, sitting on 4 flats, covered in so much mold that it looked black rather than white and needed a gas tank (among other things). Spent less than 1k fixing everything and it turned out awesome. I started out asking 3200 (optimistic, I know, but I was anticipating the low-ballers) and had several offers of 2500 before I f*&$ing wrecked it; I ended up selling it for 1800, thus breaking even.

It's all about finding the market man.
Yea I got my car close to the same situations as yours and spent less than a grand getting it back in good running shape......I know the low ballers will come....I'm trying to sell mine for 2500 because I know my car is worth it.....cuz its not like you'll see one on every street corner and there good cars if you take care of them..... But it just makes me mad when I see a lot of guys on here make it seem as if GEs are shit

·
Banned
676 Posts
You got your car for $600 with a rod knock, ok so you replaced the already non desireable motor with one just like it and expect to sell it an make a profit? not gonna happen, it takes money to make money, so insead of WASTING all that time and money installing that GE you SHOULD have done a 1jz swap, then you would have had no problem selling the car and probably making money.

Why would someone pay you $2500 for a car just to pull the engine and swap it? it makes more sense to find the one with rod knock for $600 (like you did) and then spend the rest doing the 1jz swap.

Its not just the "turbo" thats different, the block is a little different, the tranny is much stronger,rear end has LSD and different gear ratio's plus other different things here and there that all add up.

Most people that buy a turbo are wanting to upgrade and modify, most people that buy an N/A want a cheap beater because its not worth modding due to being more cost and hassle than its worth, and sorry but in the beater market a lot better deals can be had for $2500 than a 15-20 year old MKIII.

KBB is a GUIDE, its to give people somewhat of an idea on where to start, its not at all ACCURATE, look up a turbo MKIV in there and tell me how many you can find for that price, Your car has a value of whatever someone will pay for it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You got your car for $600 with a rod knock, ok so you replaced the already non desireable motor with one just like it and expect to sell it an make a profit? not gonna happen, it takes money to make money, so insead of WASTING all that time and money installing that GE you SHOULD have done a 1jz swap, then you would have had no problem selling the car and probably making money.

Why would someone pay you $2500 for a car just to pull the engine and swap it? it makes more sense to find the one with rod knock for $600 (like you did) and then spend the rest doing the 1jz swap.

Its not just the "turbo" thats different, the block is a little different, the tranny is much stronger,rear end has LSD and different gear ratio's plus other different things here and there that all add up.

Most people that buy a turbo are wanting to upgrade and modify, most people that buy an N/A want a cheap beater because its not worth modding due to being more cost and hassle than its worth, and sorry but in the beater market a lot better deals can be had for $2500 than a 15-20 year old MKIII.

KBB is a GUIDE, its to give people somewhat of an idea on where to start, its not at all ACCURATE, look up a turbo MKIV in there and tell me how many you can find for that price, Your car has a value of whatever someone will pay for it.
I got my car as a gift from my dad. He bought it like that so we could fix it up and so I could learn some things about working on cars, at that moment I was gonna go to school to be a mechanic so he got me a project car. I heard of Supras but I didnt know about the whole engine swap scene. So really I didnt WASTE my money...I was happy of just owning a Supra and I wanted to get it on the road so it didnt bother me that much that I was swapping in a GE. I was in high school at that point with no job so all the money was coming from him so I couldnt have just been like "hey dad I wanna put in a 2jz or a 1jz" he wouldve looked at me like I was stupid.

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you feel that strongly, wait for the right buyer. Just remember, market is based on demand. And demand is for a turbo Supra or gas efficient auto (especially lately). Your car is neither.
Personally, I would own an n/a but it would be gutted shell and motor strictly for backroads, course work, DD, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you feel that strongly, wait for the right buyer. Just remember, market is based on demand. And demand is for a turbo Supra or gas efficient auto (especially lately). Your car is neither.
Personally, I would own an n/a but it would be gutted shell and motor strictly for backroads, course work, DD, etc.
I am....actually I have a guy whose interested in buying my car for 2500. He's an older guy and he owned one before. The only thing is I have to fix the problems first.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
You have to consider that these cars are a dying breed and demand is going to rule out whatever you opinions are about the car. Sure it has been very reliable, but the people that buy these cars aren't looking for something to get to and from work, they are looking for something to build and put power to the ground with. They want power. The turbo models can do SO much more than an NA car. Plus more of the turbo cars are more kept-in-condition than the NAs. Just a fact of the market, sounds pretty much like common sense. If the car is worth it to you, then great, but the demand is going to be against you in this market. My old car was NA for the longest, then when it was turbo charged, there was a world of difference than the difference in money will explain.

-Alex

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually KBB value is how the insurance company decides what your car is worth and weather the value of the car exceeds the value of the repair within a certain percentage.If outside of that percentage your car is, to them, considered total.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just have to

Supra no matter what is a money pit face it.

I baught a supra 89 n/a for $700 with rod knock like mad. Had the mechanic swap in a JDM engine his bright idea was to reuse the old oilpump on the car with rod knock. well 8 months later I had to put in another JDM engine another $500 bucks shipped to me. Then I put it in myself +$200 oil pump. I love my car it is still N/A and will stay that way. It is mean enough to pull up next to Civic si's and let them look at my tail lights so I figure I might have $2500 in the car all togeather + I know how to do a motor swap now.

I know people that have 30k in a civic and are still slow so you deal with what you have dont sell it unless you have to you will be back because you will miss her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Actually a Civic SI would destroy your poor NA, sorry, I used to own one (an NA Supra). And 30k in a civic and it's still slow? What, are these people just flat out ricers or something?

Currently ride the 97 Prelude, and it pulls the shit out of poor NA supras even with CAI, headers and full exhaust. I'm fairly confident it could take a stock turbo supra too.. Probaly not one with an exhaust or anything slapped on it, though. Hondas aint that slow (except to you BPU turbo folk), gotta drive one to enjoy them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts