Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a JDM 7M-GTE front clip for my 87 AE86. Going to be one hell of a project. I just had a couple questions concerning the 7M motor.

I have heard many rumors that the head gasket is known to cause problems. What aftermarket one are you guys running and what is the thickness of it?? I plan on replacing that before the motor even goes in the car.

Also, is there any thing else I should be looking for before pulling out the motor? I'm talking something that the 7M is known for. I can pretty much figure out the obvious...well sometimes. I have heard rod knock is a common problem. Is this true? If so, any thing I can do to prevent it in the future?

Thanks guys, I hope you will help me out and not flame to hard. Looking forward to joining you 7M guys soon!! :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah usually people go for the hks metal headgasket
either 1.2 mm or 2mm depending on if you have machine work done to your head first.

You can most likely find one for sale in the mkIII sale section on this forum

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
burntrocker said:
yeah usually people go for the hks metal headgasket
either 1.2 mm or 2mm depending on if you have machine work done to your head first.

You can most likely find one for sale in the mkIII sale section on this forum
Thanks for the quick response man. This head is going to be stock basically, just want this motor to run strong and reliable for a long time. Still 1.2-2mm thick even with a stock head? Thanks.

·
7MGTE CRESSIDA PWR!!!
780 Posts
is this RiskE86s old car?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
The issue isn't so much the headgasket itself..... it is A) a horribly low torque spec. and B) age.

The popular recipe for these engines is having the head and block resurfaced (required for a MHG), and either a 1.2mm or 1.4mm MHG. If you're not getting the block and head resurfaced, stick with an OEM HG and some ARP headbolts with about 20lbs more torque than factory.

·
Love teh white wimmenz!
320 Posts
^^Good stuff right there, also t/q the head down +72lbs/tq, about the rod knock issue, make sure you keep it well oiled. A small leak can lead to bigger headaches.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
^^^
Even better stuff there! Alot of guys here run a quart over when it comes to oil.... definitely not a bad idea if you don't want your pump running dry in a hard turn.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
You can overfill by an extra quart of oil... as the doctor says.

I suggest surfacing the head, decking the block... then get a mhg according to what amount got cut off of the head. Hks or cometic will do great, then use some Arp head studs.

If i were doing this i would also throw in a new oil pump and water pump, just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
A great time to check your bearings too.... Full rebuild he we come! lol. I definitely agree with a new oil pump at the minimum, might as well if you're already pulling the block apart.

If you do get the block decked make sure to get the lower timing cover/plate cut at the same time. The head overlaps it a bit and it'll cause issues if not taken care of.

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
haha yah, personally i would just completely rebuild it. I realize thats irrational kind of, but its just what i would do for the peace of mind. Its all about when you think you can be done with the motor. Im a bit of a perfectionist, i like everything to be and look like new otherwise it just stresses me out... supras will be the end of my life.

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
i dunno about as far as rebuilding it.. but with it out the car i would definitly consider fixing some oil issues the 7m has, Dr Jones just had a pan baffeled and expanded i belive.. i think it's a great idea' lets you run more oil with the peace of mind that your not going to foam your oil at high rpm.. or run out on a hard corner...

i belive some of the fixes for the oil pressure is a new pump, and remote oil filter, if im wrong some one will chim in..

some say what you do here can make or break your ride..

i pesonaly just did a hg and put the motor in.. i now wish i would have done a pump, or atleast shimmed the pump.. and still am going to put a remote filter on.. makes changing it easy any ways...

valve stem seals are a good idea,

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
pimptrizkit said:
i dunno about as far as rebuilding it.. but with it out the car i would definitly consider fixing some oil issues the 7m has, Dr Jones just had a pan baffeled and expanded i belive.. i think it's a great idea' lets you run more oil with the peace of mind that your not going to foam your oil at high rpm.. or run out on a hard corner...

i belive some of the fixes for the oil pressure is a new pump, and remote oil filter, if im wrong some one will chim in..

some say what you do here can make or break your ride..

i pesonaly just did a hg and put the motor in.. i now wish i would have done a pump, or atleast shimmed the pump.. and still am going to put a remote filter on.. makes changing it easy any ways...

valve stem seals are a good idea,
Yah i was just saying thats what i would do because im a feak... I was going to mention Dr. Js new pan, but i fear fitment on his AE86. Also if he is leaving it a simple motor it doesnt necessarily need it, it all depends on how much he wants to shield the motor from problems. An aftermarket oil cooler would also be a good idea. IRC the shim mod on the pump didnt really do much. Removal of the egr can help out alot also. You can have a set of block off plates for $25 plus a bolt to jam in there.

Bottom line is there are many many things out there to protect the 7m nowadays. Its just hardly anybody will step up and do all of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts