L8

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
REBUILD! :)

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
just be careful getting a new shortblock. there were some issues w/ the ones assy'd in mexico. the bearings werent sized properly or defective, cant remem what exactly was wrong w/ them.
it should be all sorted by now tho, just if you happen to get one that has been in a warehouse for a while you might want to spec the tolerances to be safe.

dave

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
you could rebuild the motor for under $1000.

i know because i just did one.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
You can get a SHOP to rebuild a 7M for $1200cdn (labour included) locally here. So that $2800us is outrageous. Rebuild it yourself.

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I think the best route for the 7M is either short block or new crank and bearings from Toyota with forged aftermarket pistons. I would argue that there is not a machine shop that can build a motor to specs like the factory can. I have been researching the boards and everyone that is having longterm success is using OEM parts. Throw on a MHG with ARPs and the motor should last another 16 years. Well worth the $2500 in my opinion for the bottom end. An aftermarket manufacturer uses reverse engineering to make their parts as I am sure that Toyota would not release its engineering information to the public. I could be wrong though. I want my rebuild to clock over 200k like the 7M in there now (but with a SP61 at 15 psi :) ).

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
Ive got a short block or at least the head and block with all the internals lol if you want it its yours for 200$ canadian

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
When I needed a motor for my car I got quoted 1700$ for a toyota shortblock.. but thats through someone at the local toyota dealer this was about a year ago though..

·
Registered
346 Posts
A rebuild can run anywhere from $800-2000 depending on how fancy you wanna get and how good your engine is. Usually the rod Knocked engine rebuilds are in the $1200+ range b/c more machine work is needed.

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Called my local dealer and a short block is $3100 but Jay Mark's has them for $2330 + $65 shipping. To get a crank, oil pump, and bearings (rod and crank) is around $1350. Think I will go with the new crank and bearings, aftermarket forged pistons, and ARP hardware. What is the approximate cost to shotpeen the rods?

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
for the cost of stock rods and shot peening them, it would be almost as cost-effective to buy a set of forged rods. My question to you is "what are your goals for this car" cause if you want a stock engine, and want it to last 150-200k miles, then go ahead with the stock from Toyota. If you want to go on the upgrade path of righteousness, then you may want to consider some different options. From what I am reading, it does seem like you have the money to spend (cause any normal person wouldn't even consider getting a new engine from the factory).
this is what I would do in your circumstance:
used 7mgte
forged rods (if over 500hp goal)
new crank-though you may be able to find a place to make you one for about the same price, except it will be out of better materials
forged pistons (JE, Ross)
arp main studs
arp rod bolts
arp head studs
MHG
new oil pump
New bearings (have machine shop size up and order)

that would be a great start to a bullet proof bottm end, reliable, motor.

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jz_killa_t68 said:
From what I am reading, it does seem like you have the money to spend (cause any normal person wouldn't even consider getting a new engine from the factory).
After reading the rod knock sticky, it appears that sloppy machine work and incorrect rebuilding has attributed to a lot of failed 7Ms out there. My hp goal is 350 to 400 to the wheel. Nothing drastic at all. I have been looking at the 1J and the 7M route. PLEASE don't start a 7m debate but I have ridden in two 1Js and I prefer the 7M. With that said, I don't mind spending the money to do it right and have a long healthy life with the 7M. Why is buying a Toyota shortblock considered being a non "normal person" Can anyone recommend a shop that can rebuild a bulletproof bottom end in Florida?

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
Okay, most people that I know, including myself, wouldn't go outright to Toyota to buy an engine. Have you considered sourcing out a JDM engine? there's many people that have those installed and have no problems with them.

As for the rebuilding, the best way to go is find a reputable machine shop, have them bore and hone your block, measure the bearing journals, and order the bearings for you. if you can read and are somewhat decent with a wrench, you can just follow the TSRM step-by step in your re-build. You won't have any problems. The 7m was one of the first engines that I rebuilt (a VW bug was the 1st). All that I did was follow step by step in my TSRM, and everything came out fine. I've now done several engines (including my own) that way without any repricussions. the only part that I did not do myself was the machine work-fitting the piston rings (some require fileing), boring the block, sizing the bearings, etc.

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,708 Posts
jz_killa_t68 said:
(cause any normal person wouldn't even consider getting a new engine from the factory).
I think a normal person would consider exactly that.

I think what you mean to say is that many of the people that frequent these forums wouldn't consider it.

Though if the time comes, I will consider all my options, a short block from Toyota would certainly be near the top of the list.

I think its a damn good deal myself.

Dan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts