Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know there's a bunch of threads for turbo kits but I wanted to hear from you guys the latest (if any) ones around. I've been looking at the DM ones if anyone can vouch for them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Deffinitly need more info. I've also noticed a lot of newbies here lately who literally have no clue what there doing and probly shouldn't have bought a car that needs a lot of Tlc and maintenance

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for some of the feedback,

my turbo is starting to go out so I just wanted to upgrade the whole turbo system. My intentions for my car are to go to some trackdays and put out 300 hp or so. I'm also gonna upgrade to the AEM v2 system that drift motion has made for the 7m. I was also looking at the proEFI option as well, just really looking for a plug n play however.

Thank you for the input.

·
Registered
179 Posts
With your power goal I would say just run a upgraded ct26 from dm. It wouldn't have any problem making that power. Depending on what year your car is I have an AEM v1 pnp laying around I'm not using.

·
Registered
135 Posts
57 trim turbo from either Albert or Aaron, Lexus V8 MAF housing, 550 injectors, inter-cooler hard pipe kit and upgrade the IC. AFC and/or EBC would be nice additions.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Literally just throw a 3inch exhaust from the turbo back and get a 57 trim ct26. You don't need any fuel or intercooler upgrades for that level. I don't even think you need extra boost for 300hp.

·
yup, reefed it
886 Posts
Yeah check out the Newbie's guide to Modifying your MK3 turbo thread in the FAQ section. A bigger turbo will be sorta laggy at that power goal. An upgraded 57 trim CT26 is a good option though. I also got an Innovate wideband gauge/boost controller. Most aftermarket downpipes will come with a bung for the wideband sensor. Keeps an eye on your fuel mix in case something goes wrong, and also doubles as a boost controller. Only have to install one gauge that way. Drilled out my cig lighter and put it there for a clean easy install. Gotta love how few upgrades this car needs to make some power.

·
Registered
72 Posts
At what power level/upgrades does the piggyback/standalone become relevant? I am only asking because I am getting closer and closer to the Lexus AFM/550 upgrade, already have a bigger turbo/intercooler/exhaust.. will the afm and injectors push me into a position where either a piggy back or standalone become viable? My end power goals are between 350-400hp..

·
Registered
135 Posts
IMO once a bigger turbo is added it is time to look at something to control fuel and timing. Bigger exhaust, better IC and pipes already have you at FC.

·
yup, reefed it
886 Posts
At what power level/upgrades does the piggyback/standalone become relevant? I am only asking because I am getting closer and closer to the Lexus AFM/550 upgrade, already have a bigger turbo/intercooler/exhaust.. will the afm and injectors push me into a position where either a piggy back or standalone become viable? My end power goals are between 350-400hp..
Some reading on how the Lexus/550 upgrade is designed to work with the stock set-up
http://suprasonic.org/public_html/lexusriemer/lexusnotes.html
Run wires into the cabin from pins E1 and Vf in the diagnostic box to see if the ECU is having to tweak the air/fuel mix for your set-up. If it isn't, you shouldn't need a piggyback (also assuming you have a wideband sensor/gauge to keep an eye on things)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Stock boost runs to about 12 psi give or take. On a 57 trim that'll put you anywhere between 325-350hp at the crank. The reason for the Lexus afm and 550ccs is to exceed that boost limit to about 18psi. At that point you should be hitting about 400hp pretty easily. The limits of the Lexus afm 550 combo is quite remarkable. I've seen a thread where a guy made 616 whp using the Lexus afm combo w a piggyback. I think there more than enough for your power goal lol.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The ecu is also a self learning mechanism, meaning it should adjust air fuel ratios accordingly. And considering your adding 25% air to 25% fuel, you shouldn't even need a piggyback. But I would hook one up just in case. Better be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only reason why I'd like to go standalone is to have open options for the future.

If I ever do want more power I wouldn't have to worry about dealing with a piggy back. I wanted to get rid of the AFM sensor all together as well and simplify it.

Thanks for all the feed back.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So here is a list of the modifications I have..
7mgte with 1.4mm head gasket with ARP studs, Sound Performance SP61GT Dual Ball Bearing turbo, bigger inter-cooler, walbro 255 with AFPR and full 3inch exhaust from turbo. My next (and last) upgrade for what I intend for the car is the Lexus AFM and 550 injectors.. The previous owner did have an SAFC 1 in the car but kept that for his new project.. Would it make sense for me to get a piggy back?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts