Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every thread I see of this is from the early 2000's so maybe things have changed but does anyone know of an aftermarket 7mge intake manifold?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I know of Sleeper Design sells one. it is fully CNC'd. A gorgeous piece.
I had mine made with the LT4 supercharged DBW throttle body.

He can put any throttle body you want.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I know of Sleeper Design sells one
He stopped making those a while back, but they absolutely are gorgeous. If I understand correctly he'll make a complete batch if someone wants to buy the whole batch and worry about selling and shipping them. The 7M market is so small and cheap that it tends to not be worth his time to deal with it.

Every thread I see of this is from the early 2000's so maybe things have changed but does anyone know of an aftermarket 7mge intake manifold?
Any manifold for a 7MGTE will also work for a 7MGE, so you don't have to look for one specifically for a GE. Should widen your options a bit.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
He stopped making those a while back, but they absolutely are gorgeous. If I understand correctly he'll make a complete batch if someone wants to buy the whole batch and worry about selling and shipping them. The 7M market is so small and cheap that it tends to not be worth his time to deal with it.
Ahh, yeah i keep hearing conflicting stories on if he still does one offs or not. I guess a call to him would answer that. :)

It does require the alternator be relocated elsewhere. I am seeing if it can be shoe horned in that area though as i have plans for the passenger side of the engine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, yeah i keep hearing conflicting stories on if he still does one offs or not. I guess a call to him would answer that. :)

It does require the alternator be relocated elsewhere. I am seeing if it can be shoe horned in that area though as i have plans for the passenger side of the engine.
Driftmotion sells an alternator relocation kit so that wouldnt br a problem. Does anyone know how much that intake goes for?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Driftmotion sells an alternator relocation kit so that wouldnt br a problem. Does anyone know how much that intake goes for?
That kit moves the alternator to the a/c location which for me, is a no go.

the intake, when i purchased it went for $2100 which included the custom throttle body mount for the Supercharged LT4 dbw throttle body.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ahh, yeah i keep hearing conflicting stories on if he still does one offs or not. I guess a call to him would answer that.
When I spoke to him in person at SIV2019 he said he was done with the group buys, takes too much time to organize and manage and his shop is rather busy.

That kit moves the alternator to the a/c location which for me, is a no go.
I've only ever seen the Sleeper Designs kit that retains the A/C. Looks rather complex and I've already decided to move my alternator to the PS pump location.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
I've only ever seen the Sleeper Designs kit that retains the A/C. Looks rather complex and I've already decided to move my alternator to the PS pump location.
I spoke to Seth at length about that, for this FFIM

20191107_181909.jpg

that relocation bracket does not work. It works for a different design.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I spoke to Seth at length about that, for this FFIM

View attachment 249723

that relocation bracket does not work. It works for a different design.
Yep, RMR-ish style. Physically I don't really see the alternator and A/C compressor fitting in that same area. Using a smaller Denso hairpin alternator (small case one) might give you enough wiggle room to fit them in there, but that's pretty cramped. Definitely not a pro at A/C systems, but maybe a smaller compressor can be used?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Yep, RMR-ish style. Physically I don't really see the alternator and A/C compressor fitting in that same area. Using a smaller Denso hairpin alternator (small case one) might give you enough wiggle room to fit them in there, but that's pretty cramped. Definitely not a pro at A/C systems, but maybe a smaller compressor can be used?

If only the Electric AC system were 12vdc instead of 300vdc. :/

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Wait, what electric AC system are you guys talking about that uses 300vdc?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Wait, what electric AC system are you guys talking about that uses 300vdc?
As PirateTip mentioned,

All the hybrids and electric vehicles run anywhere from 201v (prius) to 300v (Tesla Model S/X/3) for the hvac system.

Yes that is both the compressor and the electric PTC (Positive Temprature coefficient) heater core.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
221 Posts
A look at the Model Y compressor.
From a fellow vehicle benchmarking team :D

They are actually surprisingly cheap used.

Figgie you want to try anything with a set of Li-Ion HV batteries on your car?
I have 3x 60V Hyundai OE Lithium Packs that could be wired in series. (1.17 kWh of power combined if 3x wired in series)
Trying to decide if I want to do anything with them or not....
Could run a e-Turbo / e-Compressor / electric motor serpentine belt mounted... lots of different things.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would love to see the energy loss

12v ---> 250 vdc(inverter) to charge the pack

hybreds obviously get around this bc the alternator (per se) is setup to run on that voltage, the voltage of the hv pack drive system

I wonder if you could hack one of those apart and use a more reasonable priced 36 or 48 vdc motor / alt setup. there is tons of low cost components in that voltage range (think golf car motors, wind turbine alternators / charge controllers etc)

no matter what you do the electric motor is not really running from the pack....there is something always replenishing the pack on a highbred. I say batteries are not really needed if your inverted can run the motor. or very minimal capacity

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
221 Posts
madisonMK3 the efficiency losses aren't as bad as you think anymore.
Most of the vehicles I benchmark theses days have 90%+ efficiencies on the DC/DC converters now.

In the past yes, not that great.
But electronics have come a long long way since then.

One Bosch example:
95% efficiency

Running a 48V BSG would be best case scenario to DC/DC -> 12V that recharges the 12V battery and runs the vehicle electronics.
In the automotive world that would be the simplest and least cost implementation of a micro hybrid system. Known as P0 architecture.
That would allow some engine assist through the serpentine belt and REGEN abilities, among other things. (Engine S/S)

The battery capacity does not have to be very high to implement a number of advanced micro hybrid features.

These are all of course small stepping stones to full vehicle EV implementation.
The USA is far behind Europe in a majority of these systems.
We are just beginning to see the start here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts