Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just wanted some help on what I should get to rebuild my 7mge engine to push 400hp. What would I need and what is suggested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To get to 400hp on an NA 7m would cost more than most engine swaps...you could go NA-T but I hear that's sketchy....if you could source a doner GTE car that would be your best option. Otherwise be prepared to get nickel n dimed to death just piecing together the parts that don't even make tour car fast.

·
7M Fanatic
3,252 Posts
To get 400 hp out of a GE.....
Get a really good job, so you can afford to send an engine to someone that builds Indy car engines....
Be prepared to spend $50,000 for things like a custom crank, titanium rods & valves, custom pistons, custom billet cams, untold hours of development time on porting, and a different transmission with very close ratios, due to get that kind of power out of a NA, the power band gets very narrow.
When you do get there, be ready to do a lot of engine rebuilds due to engine fatigue.

You are talking about over 2 hp per cubic inch.
the Nascar people get that kind of power, but they can go through 2-3 engines per event.
Back when F1 was running 3-liter, NA engines, they were getting 800 hp, but were lucky to get one race out of an engine, and were swapping engines after practice, and after qualifying, if they actually made it through qualifying without popping one.

You can spend a few thousand bucks with off the shelf internals, and maybe get 250 hp out of a 7MGE, but it won't like a stock trans due to ratios, and it falling off the power band between shifts, especially on the 4th-5th shift.
Spend the same amount on a turbo build, and get 4-5 hundred easily, and with a R154 trans, never have to wory about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts