Supra Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,147 Posts
5 psi of boost negates just about every mod you could do for the na. Meaning 5 PSI = Headers, port work, bored .40 over, yada yada....

Save your self the energy, Buy a gte manifold, put it on don't even intercooler it if you stay under 12 PSI and you'll be close to 275 WHP if not more.

·
Registered
746 Posts
We built 11.5:1 comp 7mge here at the shop for someone 4 years ago with cams, head work, and everything you can think of. I think it made 275hp.

BPU stock ct would kill that. Do what you want to do if it is just for your own personal goal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I agree with going Turbo. or slap some kind of poweradder to it. It normally is cheaper then N/A. Plus, N/A on a 6 is kind of pointless for High Compression. Go like Small Block Chevy with High Compression that would kick ass and be fucking hilarious. That's what I get told all the time even when talking turbo supras.

·
(◕_◕)
3,756 Posts
turbo

I had a brain fart

·
7m love... dont hate.
2,571 Posts
I agree with going Turbo. or slap some kind of poweradder to it. It normally is cheaper then N/A. Plus, N/A on a 6 is kind of pointless for High Compression. Go like Small Block Chevy with High Compression that would kick ass and be fucking hilarious. That's what I get told all the time even when talking turbo supras.
when talking about v8s its usually a 350 in which case its only got 2 more cylinders but its 161 more cubic in. v8's have a bigger bore and stroke than our motors turbo or not and thats what makes up for the power. comparing a v8 to our tI6 is pointless as they both have advantages.

basically for our cars just go turbo and save your self the heartache and back pain.

obrutturbo
??????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get both

I have an 86 n/a that I will be building up. I may not get a lot more out of it but I will get some and it'll be fresh again. Now many of you will start saying boost it, but here is why not. Right now the car is fun without hassle. I can drive it to work (500 mile round trip once a week) and it is comfortable, quiet and drinks regular gas. It's fast enough for any passing I have to do and if for some rare reason I need or want more, tap the NOS. It's more then enough for the public streets. I mean really, too fast on public streets and your just being an A-hole. Don't agree? Well, what would you call a person who recklessly endangers a child? There are children in those other cars your speeding around you know. Deny it all you want but at the end of the day, you're that guy (not that I haven't ever been that guy to). Now when it is time to race at a track with other adults who know and consent of the risk, the fully built, 89 5 speed turbo comes out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have an 86 n/a that I will be building up. I may not get a lot more out of it but I will get some and it'll be fresh again. Now many of you will start saying boost it, but here is why not. Right now the car is fun without hassle. when it is time to race at a track with other adults who know and consent of the risk, the fully built, 89 5 speed turbo comes out.
^^^^^
Well Spake.
Will
(See Sig)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had heard someone was making 10:1 and revong to 9000 RPM in a 7M. Which would be maybe 400hp??? If I could get 10:1 and run the biggest CAM available I'd be happy. Would be so much simpler. Currently I'm in a NA turbo situation... not sure what direction I'm going.

·
7M Fanatic
3,103 Posts
I run 12:1, and 8500 rpm.
The 7M has too long of a stroke to run much higher rpm, but 9k is probably possible if you run good enough components, which I mostly have, just not willing to chance it, as breakage rate increases exponentially.
The limiting factor is what is called piston acceleration (not piston speed), and the formula for that says stock stroke/rod length at just shy of 8500.
Longer rods, with super light pistons would raise this limit, and maybe some day I will spend the cash to have some made up.

My advice, stay turbo.
It costs a lot less to make power than turning 55 year old engine design into a NA screamer.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts