Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this MK3 I bought has the notorious Code 52 (knock sensor wiring) code and I can't seem to get it to go away. So I turn to you, the masses, for advice.

The car runs fine, though it doesn't seem to have the power it should.

I've replaced the knock sensor and rewired it with RG59 coax cable per all the advice I've received so far. Yes, it's grounded on both ends and has good continuity.

Frankly, my next step is to replace the ECU, but I'm not looking forward to that.

Anyone have anything else I may have missed?

·
Registered
197 Posts
have you checked the actual sensor its self. and when you re wired it with the coax did you solder the old terminal back on or replace it? and also double check you didn't get any of the shielding strands into your signal connection!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the sensor after rewiring it the first time. I got a new terminal off Amazon so I would be sure it would work. And double checked the shielding strands.

·
greasemonkey
3,125 Posts
Could be you actually have pinging/detonation that is setting it off.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The only thing that I see you missed is that you grounded both ends which creates a ground loop. Only ground one end.

Other than that check your wiring again. Yes it could be a bad ECU but it's very rare for 7M ECUs to go bad. Also pinging/detonation will not cause the code to show up, the code only shows for an open or short in the wiring.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=28

FWIW, I THOUGHT that I did a good job wiring mine even after replacing a cracked sensor didn't fix it. 3rd time wiring them (turbo has 2, na has 1) the code finally went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts