Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After an engine rebuild already performed on my 1991 Supra my plan is to change oil at 500 miles, at 1500 miles, and then on every 3000 miles.
My techs used semi-synthetic oil so I am facing going on using semi-synthetic according to the plan. I live in Buenos Aires so my choices are somehow limited to Shel, Castrol and perhaps Valvoline - what would you guys recommend? Are the choice of semi-synthetic and the changing plan ok?

Best,
Marcelo

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Change it at 500 miles, then the regular 3000 miles after that. I wouldn't use synthetic on the break-in, but if it's already in there that's okay.

Don't be afraid to accelerate hard during the break-in, but only take it to 4000 RPM or so. Research break-in procedures.

Al

·
7M Fanatic
3,103 Posts
Good luck with ever getting the rings to seat if you already run it with synthetic.
It is too slippery, and the high points of the cross hatch will smooth out before the rings ever cut in.
90% of break in happens in the first 100 miles.
Learned long ago, that plain old 30wt, and stand on it hard for a few seconds, then let it decelerate, then hard on it again repeatedly seats the rings very fast.
I do this for about 200 miles total, then switch over to synthetic (and a new filter of course).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments, unfortunately my techs used semi-synthetic (not plain syntethic for what is worth). I notice some oil comsumption, tech says it is normal during the break-in period and states that japanese rings take even longer to seat. Hope everything goes ok :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
HI Marcelo,
the first question is how many miles have you done on the semi-sythetic?
Is your car automatic or 5-speed?

If it is 5-speed, you can help by reving the engine and then use engine braking. Unfortunatly the right process would have been to drain the oil and put straight, non-detergent 30wt and run it for 100 miles like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hello Figgie, I've done about 450 miles on semi-synthetic and the car is 5-speed. I am planning to change oil next week, but I understand it's not a good idea to revert to 30wt. Would the reving/braking process still help?

Thanks!
Marcelo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts