Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Thanks to all of the help here my 7m is almost ready to come out and I have all of the parts necessary to complete the rebuild! Few last minute questions before I decide to pull it.

1.) what’s the exact weight of the engine? (Without transmission) should I just put the hoist to half a ton?

2.) I’ve seen where people mount the motor to the hoist but I can’t find a spot behind the motor to mount. Where do I mount it?

3.) is there any small stuff I’m missing? I have the wiring harness off, fluids are out, accessories and belts are off, radiator is out, radiator hoses are off, throttle cable related things are all off as well.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
1.) what’s the exact weight of the engine? (Without transmission) should I just put the hoist to half a ton?

2.) I’ve seen where people mount the motor to the hoist but I can’t find a spot behind the motor to mount. Where do I mount it?

3.) is there any small stuff I’m missing? I have the wiring harness off, fluids are out, accessories and belts are off, radiator is out, radiator hoses are off, throttle cable related things are all off as well.
1.) According to Wikipedia: 439 lbs
2.) There's OEM lifting hook attached to cylinder head at the rear/passenger side.
3.) If you have AC, line to compressor will need to be disconnected. There are ground wires from body to engine block to be disconnected as well.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Vehicle

Rectangle Handwriting Font Circle Writing

·
Registered
454 Posts
You will want to invest in or get a loaner tool load leveler to adjust the angle especially if going to attach the transmission later. See photo. Put a moving blanket over the front so you don't damage the bumper or scrape the paint. The front end is going to spring up when you take the weight off so letting most of the air out of the front tires will give you a few inches. I did mine in a cramped condo garage. To get more access you can remove the hood support shocks and raise it up higher but be careful not to scrape that black trim piece in front of the windshield or remove it. I set mine at 1/2 ton because I needed the reach to get over the center of the engine from the front. The legs of the hoist fit between the wheels. Hoists come in different maximum capacities which could affect how far you can reach in safely. I estimated the engine and transmission to be at about 750 pounds after I had removed most heavy things like the turbo and the exhaust manifold, intake manifold, etc. 1/2 ton is 1000 pounds. I found the correct length metric bolts at an old time hardware store to mount the block to the engine stand that I'd gotten from Harbor freight. The bolts were just a little long but I took up the slack with some oversized nuts that slipped over the mounting bolts as spacers.

Going in. Note the front end sprung up from the weight being off.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

Getting it back in its motor mount slots was a pain in this 1987 model. Motor mounts changed in 89 to a different style.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Agree with Bruder. You'll need the leveling device. I bought the smaller Harbor Freight one, then returned it and got the biggest as it was not able to do what I needed and I didn't like the attachment set up. Someone gave me the excellent tip to raise the rear end of the car up also to help with the angle. Use a moving blanket or thick towel atop the shifter if you're pulling tranny also. Allows the tranny to drag along the bottom of the car without scraping crud into the shifter. Put the towel on and a few wraps of duct tape to hold it in place. Same on install. When you lift the rear, the front lowers, so be sure you have enough under clearance for the lift legs. If not, a simple bottle jack may help. Lift the engine slightly, then use a bright flashlight to look and see what you forgot (hose, wire, etc) before you damage them. Be sure you have the space to move the engine away from the car, or a plan to move the car away. Worst is you get it out but discover garage is to tight to move engine to stand due to the hoist's huge legs. Good luck - this is an exciting part!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts