Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is needed to swap in a 7mgte swap? do you need to swap the tranny? i know you need a computer, wiring harness, intercooler and piping, exhaust and mounts but is this all?

·
Registered
54 Posts
check around these forums. there's plenty of stuff to do research on. i haven't needed to post a thread in a really long time since everyone has already done what i want to know about. one thing to look into for ur swap would be a limited slip diff. unless u already have the sport package nonturbo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
check around these forums. there's plenty of stuff to do research on. i haven't needed to post a thread in a really long time since everyone has already done what i want to know about. one thing to look into for ur swap would be a limited slip diff though. unless u already have the sport package nonturbo.

·
Acting my age
3,968 Posts
check around these forums. there's plenty of stuff to do research on. i haven't needed to post a thread in a really long time since everyone has already done what i want to know about. one thing to look into for ur swap would be a limited slip diff though. unless u already have the sport package nonturbo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok well i have lsd so thats checked off the list

·
Registered
302 Posts
i'm in the middle of doing the swap myself. aside from the harnesses, whatever transmition you use you need the applicable driveshaft, tachometer from the turbo model, exhaust is different but that is pretty much it off the top of my head. of course the intake, clutch fan, ecu, etc.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
dude its a huge deal i did the same thing as you just jumped into it. I had everything i needed and the swap is a lot of work for a first timer a lot.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dude its a huge deal i did the same thing as you just jumped into it. I had everything i needed and the swap is a lot of work for a first timer a lot.
well thanks for these words, im not going to do it anyway, just for a few hours i thought about it but decided putting my 7mgte turbo kit on and vfac with injectors is just as good with the added compression :wavey:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm in the middle of doing the swap myself. aside from the harnesses, whatever transmition you use you need the applicable driveshaft, tachometer from the turbo model, exhaust is different but that is pretty much it off the top of my head. of course the intake, clutch fan, ecu, etc.
i know the turbo models go to 6200rpm so i dont really think the tach would matter unless its a different output which i highly dought
if i use my na tranny i wouldn't have t o change drive shafts right?
also i know about the exhaust.

·
Registered
302 Posts
the tachometer's have different circuit boards due to the difference in the ignition system. and yes the n.a tranny has a different drive shaft. so does the auto

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
You'll also need some beer.

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
WOW this thread is full of bad info....

stevenr816 - not all turbo models cut out at 6200rpm only half way through 89 to 92 everything before that was 6500 same as the GE of those years. Second when you do the turbo swap you have to pull out the gauge cluster and change 3 resistors on the back of the tachometer to read the different signal from the CPS. As far as driveline that is completely seperate from the engine. Both GE and GTE have the same bolt pattern on the end of the crank and can accept the GE or GTE flywheel. This means that as long as you have a flywheel, clutch, tranny, driveshaft all from an NA your good or all from a turbo your good. You need to have those 4 pieces. The diff doesnt matter but you had better make sure you have a sports edition NA diff because those have LSD which means your not gonna look like a loser doing your peg leg pirate burn outs.

Also when you do the swap and are using the GTE electronics youll find that the plug for the reverse lights on the turbo is different from the NA so your going to have to pull your reverse lights unless you mod the plug on the GTE harness to fit your W58

·
Registered
302 Posts
full of bad info???

besides the rev limitter issue everything else is fine. and replacing the resistors, unless you know what you are doing, is a bad idea. the average 16-20yr old mk3 owner doesn't have the gear to clean the flux, prep the board, make the proprer solder joint or even the knowhow to add resistors in parrallel/series. noone said anything about the flywheel, clutch or compatibility of transmitions i only mentioned the fact that the driveshafts are different.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to come off as being offensive and i appreciate your input you obviously know what your talking about judging by your other posts but totally dissing this thread is un fair.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW this thread is full of bad info....
This means that as long as you have a flywheel, clutch, tranny, driveshaft all from an NA your good or all from a turbo your good. You need to have those 4 pieces. The diff doesnt matter but you had better make sure you have a sports edition NA diff because those have LSD which means your not gonna look like a loser doing your peg leg pirate burn outs.
well thank you for this! i have been trying to get to that point!
also i do have the sport suspension and lsd rear end.
so basically its back to just mounts, ecu, wiring harness, and the whole engine.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
full of bad info???

besides the rev limitter issue everything else is fine. and replacing the resistors, unless you know what you are doing, is a bad idea. the average 16-20yr old mk3 owner doesn't have the gear to clean the flux, prep the board, make the proprer solder joint or even the knowhow to add resistors in parrallel/series. noone said anything about the flywheel, clutch or compatibility of transmitions i only mentioned the fact that the driveshafts are different.

don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to come off as being offensive and i appreciate your input you obviously know what your talking about judging by your other posts but totally dissing this thread is un fair.
i am totally up to doing the resistors cause i have been working in electronics since i was 9. my dad is an electrition for south west gas.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts