Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finially got my Supra running. It only took me a year to do a stock rebuild. Anyway, I can get it to start, then it will cut right off. If I give it some gas, it will stay running, as long as I am giving it gas. But as it revs up, it skips a little bite. But while I'm going down the road, it runs smoothly. I use to have a MR2, when I did a head job on it, it did the same thing. I don't remember what I did to fix it. Only my dad knew (he passed). Are there any ideas on what to look at? I'm not sure if my timing is right. I didn't have anybody that could keep the car running while I checked it. Could this be it? Or should I look at something else? The power was not there when I drove it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
plugs(make sure the brand is okay too, don't use bosch, use autolite or NGK, or something good like that)
afm - make sure its plugged in
gasoline - bad gas will do that to the engine, vapor lock, ect
manifold leak - look for leaks in hoses, gaskets, and other conections

if nothing else, try checkin your timing w/ a timing light.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jong said:
plugs(make sure the brand is okay too, don't use bosch, use autolite or NGK, or something good like that)
afm - make sure its plugged in
gasoline - bad gas will do that to the engine, vapor lock, ect
manifold leak - look for leaks in hoses, gaskets, and other conections

if nothing else, try checkin your timing w/ a timing light.
Plugs are new, Autolite Platieumn

I'll check the AFM, again, but I'm kinda sure it was plugged in.

Yeah the gas is REAL old. It was in the car when I bought it. And it had sat for a while before I bought it.

I doubt there are any leaks in the manifold. And I'll check the hoses.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
when i took my head off and put it back on i started the car and it died like you said....it was my timing it was too advanced so only when u rev the engine it stays alive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NegativeGeForce said:
when i took my head off and put it back on i started the car and it died like you said....it was my timing it was too advanced so only when u rev the engine it stays alive
Thanks, I'll try that tonight.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
either swap that gas out, or put in some fuel drying additive like "heat"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jong said:
either swap that gas out, or put in some fuel drying additive like "heat"
It's really not that much gas in it. If I added a bottle of treatment, there will be more treatment then gas in the tank. I'll have to add some to get it to read empty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found the problem, the injectors seal (the ones that go in the head), all of them dried up. I guess that came from them sitting out for a year. You would guess these seals came in the HG set, but they don't. So I ordered a set of them and a set of the injector grommets from the Yota dealer. And my first Supra should be up and going in a few days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
seals came with the set when i bought one...

i would have guessed the ISC valve..

good luck, hope it runs now

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thermactor said:
How much was it? I thought that the seals were $40/set, grommets a good deal more.
$2.90 per, that's for the seals and the grommets. For a total of $35.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
TopDawg_43 said:
$2.90 per, that's for the seals and the grommets. For a total of $35.
Not bad at all! Thanks. Was this from a discount dealer like Champion Toyota or was it from your local dealership?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thermactor said:
Not bad at all! Thanks. Was this from a discount dealer like Champion Toyota or was it from your local dealership?
That's from my local Yota dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts