Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a motor for my sons 91 supra and was looking at egr block off plates.I have seen kits with 2 plates and with 3 plates? all I have seen says to remove the egr cooler plate at back of head and one plate goes on far side by exhaust. my 88 supra already had the plates on it but both are on the intake and it still has the cooler plate on it? I read that that causes heat buildup on cyl. 6? should that cooer plate be removed? Thanks for any advice. Brad.

·
7M Fanatic
3,098 Posts
I pressed a long aluminum plug it to mine on the exhaust side, so it was flush with the port surface,
then just added one on the intake port.
Makes for better flow in the port, and removes any need for another block-off plate.

The only thing I use the bolts holding that back cover on anymore is an attachment point when I put the head on an engine stand when I do a valve job.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I am building a motor for my sons 91 supra and was looking at egr block off plates.I have seen kits with 2 plates and with 3 plates? all I have seen says to remove the egr cooler plate at back of head and one plate goes on far side by exhaust. my 88 supra already had the plates on it but both are on the intake and it still has the cooler plate on it? I read that that causes heat buildup on cyl. 6? should that cooer plate be removed? Thanks for any advice. Brad.
1st,

it looks like we are talking about a 7M motor.

so before you do that, understand that the US 7M TCCS is programmed for EGR. When you block EGR off, you increase low level low load detonation.

To do this right you need to source a JDM 7M TCCS OR leave EGR inplace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st,

it looks like we are talking about a 7M motor.

so before you do that, understand that the US 7M TCCS is programmed for EGR. When you block EGR off, you increase low level low load detonation.

To do this right you need to source a JDM 7M TCCS OR leave EGR inplace.
I see a lot of places selling block off plates but this is the first I have heard about this? Does anyone have any more info on this? Thanks

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I see a lot of places selling block off plates but this is the first I have heard about this? Does anyone have any more info on this? Thanks
I'll make it easy,

Go to supramania and read the tccs decompile thread. There are posts that talk specifically about this.

·
7M Fanatic
3,098 Posts
All issues caused by not feeding exhaust back into the intake (deleting EGR) can be cured with an Apex SAFC.
Factory system goes lean when there is no exhaust diluting the fresh charge, that is why it will run hotter.
A SAFC allows you to put extra fuel in to compensate.
Just look at how many millions of cars run just fine without EGR, including early smog cars from Honda.
Mr. Honda thought the whole idea was stupid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts