Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been working on this for quite some time now. I made this as a thank you to the community, and I hope it helps some people out with their wiring. The plan is to update this as I can. There are some bits of information missing, such as connector numbers and some wires are not labeled. If you find any inconsistencies, please drop a comment or PM me and I will fix it. I'm cross eyed from looking at this so there may be a few discrepancies. All information has been compiled from my own harness, forum posts, and of course the TSRM.

Disclaimers:
Please note that this is for a post-89 7MGTE. Any other versions or iterations of the 7M will have some different connectors and pin-outs. I am planning on adding the other engines and years when I find the time.

The connectors in each diagram are oriented looking at the rear of the housing (where the wires enter the plug).

Gesture Rectangle Slope Parallel Font

Automotive tire Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Font Bumper

Sleeve Font Elbow Knee Thigh

Product Font Line Engineering Parallel

Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Sleeve Font Elbow Knee

Joint Leg Light Product Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle wheel Motor vehicle

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Human body Jaw Gesture Font Elbow

Product Tire Automotive tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Slope

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,070 Posts
Great work.

You need to revise the CPS though.
It's a passive VR sensor, does not get fed 12v.

Ne wire is the 24 tooth crank sensor pickup output to ECU
G1 wire is one of the single tooth CAM sensor pickups output to ECU
G2 wire is the other CAM sensor pickup output to ECU
G- is the common sensor ground wire all 3 pickups are tied into

Also the color codes are quite confusing because they don't match colors from the CPS harness to the harness on the engine going to the ECU.
Why Toyota did this I have no idea.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great work.

You need to revise the CPS though.
It's a passive VR sensor, does not get fed 12v.

Ne wire is the 24 tooth crank sensor pickup output to ECU
G1 wire is one of the single tooth CAM sensor pickups output to ECU
G2 wire is the other CAM sensor pickup output to ECU
G- is the common sensor ground wire all 3 pickups are tied into

Also the color codes are quite confusing because they don't match colors from the CPS harness to the harness on the engine going to the ECU.
Why Toyota did this I have no idea.
Ahh, thank you Pirate. If anyone was going to catch the CPS revision it would be you lol. I will revise and update that tonight. I originally got that info from Driftmotions rebuild picture:
Font Engineering Parallel Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,070 Posts
Ah yup, they made that image. (Driftmotion)
Probably for their digital CPS modification.

Pull the image from the TSRM, it's correct.

Nice pinout documentation though, should help a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
this is great. are you going to show the ecu plug ? Its proabbly worth noting what generation this is ----yellow plug early or (it appears) later grey plug ecu

so much is so close between the two (same cps, igniter, sensors) but enough is different, and the ecu plugs are unique

(sorry if i missed it in a pic, skimming this real fast while i grill up some steaks)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah yup, they made that image. (Driftmotion)
Probably for their digital CPS modification.

Pull the image from the TSRM, it's correct.

Nice pinout documentation though, should help a lot of people.
Thank you @Piratetip I will do that!

this is great. are you going to show the ecu plug ? Its proabbly worth noting what generation this is ----yellow plug early or (it appears) later grey plug ecu

so much is so close between the two (same cps, igniter, sensors) but enough is different, and the ecu plugs are unique

(sorry if i missed it in a pic, skimming this real fast while i grill up some steaks)
Hey there Madison,. I'm planning on doing the ECU side very soon. Wanted to get the opposite end done first. I have a post reserved above for ECU. Will try to knock that out this weekend :)

@SupraForged Question on VSV for EGR. I only have 1 sensor. 1987 7M-GTE. Is that normal?
Hey @Dumeinao Looks like there are two total, one under the intake mani. and the other is connected to heater valve. One for fuel pressure and one for vacuum control. I believe @debrucer1 has an 88 and should be able to confirm for you as I no longer have my 7M.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
On the AFM front, you might want to add that the output of the AFM is frequency based. A simple multimeter with freq/counter can show if the AFM is working or not. An oscope is ideal but to get a rough and dirty idea if the AFM is ok... freq check.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found it. Yep, tucked up underneath the heater valve.
Nice! Glad you found it man.

This is awesome and needs to be stickied STAT!
I appreciate it @CTsupra !

@SupraForged you are a fucking fantastic human being. Stickied! 🍺
Thank you brother! Never thought I'd have a stickied thread, what an honor. I'll be updating it as the community provides their input. I'm also going to provide a link for a downloadable version this weekend.
On the AFM front, you might want to add that the output of the AFM is frequency based. A simple multimeter with freq/counter can show if the AFM is working or not. An oscope is ideal but to get a rough and dirty idea if the AFM is ok... freq check.
Figgie! Was hoping you'd have some technical feedback for me. I'll get that added this weekend to the AFM page.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,070 Posts
To piggyback on top of what figgie already mentioned.
You could take this guide to a another level by listing passive sensor normal readings and active sensor readings.
You can do everything with a fairly basic DVOM.
There are enough technical experts here where we can pull together that information fairly easily.
Maybe add that to the guide later once you're all done with this initial part.

It would be a really nice guide for those troubleshooting their vehicles.
Most of it is already in the TSRM, but it's spread out among different sections.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I see great things here...

curious enough, looking through the connectors.. i know that the TE Jr Timer EV1 series connectors fits the temp sensor (green top, bosch).

The rest look like

Sumitomo/Furukawa connectors. I even see Yakazi in there.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,070 Posts
Yeah there are quite a mix of connector types.
Also different by year.

We could pull together most of the PN's for the connectors as well.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts