Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i recently purhased a low mileage 7mgte engine and plannimg to replace it with 1.4mm metal headgasket with arp head studs was jus wondering since i have the head off is it a good idea to het the head ported and polished? how much would this cost me? is it worth it? would this increase horse power?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I would only port and polish if I was going for more than 400+hp. You will get benefits, but the money involved in having the p&p done properly might be better spent on other things first, like intake and exhaust(unless of course those items have already been upgraded).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do already have a K&N intake but no exhaust yet just stock but i will eventually want to run alot of boost which wont be for awhile, but what i was worried about was if it would be hard once i install the engine without porting and polishing it would it cost more to take it out and get it done rathr than do it while the whole engine is out?

Ps: should i machine the head b4 putting the metal head gasket on eventhough the egine has only around 50-60 thousand on it?

Thanks.

·
Engine Geek
359 Posts
i do alot of port and polish work as a side job, so i see the benifits of it alot....b t on a 7m the head flows pretty well actually and porting the head with a stock exhaust on there will more than likely loose power, or if its a really mild job it will stilll need to be redone later for big power. spend your money somewhere more effective. exhaust will cost about the same... or less, and youll probabaly en up blowing something else up before gettign to the point the head will help.

if you will be running a metal headgasket you definitly need to have the head machiined, and most people find that the block needs to be decked or lapped as well, since the factory toyota finish... even if it isnt damaged is not smooth enough for a metal gasket to seal against properly.

hope that helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts