Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.....i have a 95 nissan 240sx although i wanted to get a mk3 but wutever...i wanna do the next best thing by puttin a 7mgte in it...i really dont want to put a sr20det in it cus i think the 7mgte is better...

s13 sr20det: 4cylinder, aluminium block, 2 liter, turbo, 205 hp

7mgte: 6cylinder, iron block, 3 liter, turbo, 232 hp

i also think that 7mgte is cheaper to buy.......if u guys think it is a good idea tell me...and if u think it is a horrible thing..tell me too...i know there is gonna b alot of modifications that need to b done...but i think it will b worth it for the power and im not just doing wut everyone else is doing.....thx for the help guys

if im gonna face any problems plz tell me ...i dunno much about swaps or engines in general but willin to learn....thx

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
depends on what you want- slapping in the 7M will pretty much destroy the delicious handling of the '40.....but if you're building a big fat drag machine, that shouldn't matter.....

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I've built a couple of decent horsepower KA24E's and DE's with turbo's will mid 200 to low 300 rwhp why not keep them? A 7M will be a tight fit.

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
I woudn't do it. Get a sr20 for the 240 or buy a mk3 if you really like the 7mgte ;) ;).

When you say that you are "more drag anyways" .. this should mean that you don't want a good handling DD and you don't care if it is only a 1/4mile track car. The 7mgte weight is probably really going to mess with vehicle balance/handling aspects.

Good luck. Best regards.

·
0 Posts
don't listen to all the people that flame you check out ae86 7m swap. I t won't give you any technical info but you can see how people look at the subject! Any way boost on the 7mgte is a great motor and there are ways to bring the 50/50 weight ratio back! I would do it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i mean i dont really care about handling...i just need it to b drivable...i dont need to go drifting or anything...but i will b driving this daily...are there gonna b any techical problems?

and about the tight fit...i dont think it will b a problem because there are people puttin rb25det engines into 240sx.....i would do that but its about 6000 minimum...and the parts are hard to find or really expensive...and the rb skyline engines weigh about as much as the supra engines anyways...

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
ndnspongebob said:
i mean i dont really care about handling...i just need it to b drivable...i dont need to go drifting or anything...but i will b driving this daily...are there gonna b any techical problems?

and about the tight fit...i dont think it will b a problem because there are people puttin rb25det engines into 240sx.....i would do that but its about 6000 minimum...and the parts are hard to find or really expensive...and the rb skyline engines weigh about as much as the supra engines anyways...
I wasn't meaning to imply any "flaming" ... and I don't think I was doing so.

If you want to d it, then do it. It would probably be really cool and I am almost sure that it will work/fit etc. Let us know how it works out.

Best regards.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The RB conversion would be easier, and I believe you can get an RB25DET for not too much more than a 7M. It's certainly easier to get parts for the 7M, but you'll have to do more custom work for that conversion.

·
Super Moderator
10,263 Posts
The RB25DET BOLTS IN with the skyline front crossmember outta the clip. The shifter will move about 1 1/2 inches forward of the stock spot and the engine bay will need a few little modifications, search around the 240 forums like http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/
Theres TONS of swap info for the 240 out there.

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
I actually wanted to do the swap with a 94 that was available to me at the time about two years ago but car fell thru.... I'd say HELL YAH go for it. Give me a buzz if you actually start it, ur not too far away from me, i'll swing by to give you a hand.

Kruso

L

·
0 Posts
But if you really want a supra, why not get one, It'll be cheaper than the conversion...and you can use that extra money for mods on a mod-hungry platform. I waited and searched for 1.5 years before I got my 87T 5spd, and it's the best wait I ever waited, and the best money I've ever spent. $3500 with 115k miles and a recent JDM motor. (granted a JDM motor isn;t that much better than a 115k american motor...who knows what it's been throught, but it's takin a beating so far.)
I'd say, if you really want a mkIII wait on it, if not, GO FOR THE SWAP, I'd be interested in seeing it take place, and offering and thoughts I can. But truly be prepared for a poorly handling ride. Thats ALOT more wieght up front and the 240 is a delicatley balanced machine with the right amount of hp and the right amount of weight.
Best of luck either way

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
Buying a turbo supra would probably be easier. but if theres a will theres a way..anything can be made to fit...some guy crammed a 7m into an MR2..so why not a 7m in a 240

Just My $0.02

L

·
0 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:
Buying a turbo supra would probably be easier. but if theres a will theres a way..anything can be made to fit...some guy crammed a 7m into an MR2..so why not a 7m in a 240

Just My $0.02

I would LOVE to see some pics of that....and also a video of the front wheels off the ground....hehe

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:

Just My $0.02
PICS! ;)

3,796 Posts
:stupid:

·
2,279 Posts
He has a 240, what is so hard to understand about that? Stop telling him to just go buy a Supra or an SR20. He didn't ask about either of those. Thats like me asking about the best brake fluid and getting replies talking about putting a bomex kit on my car. Frickin aye.

The 7M swap won't throw your handling that much off. It'll be almost the same doing an RB swap. Changing spring rates and adjustable sway bars will cancel out any handling change. Plus there are many things that can be done to bring it closer to 50/50 (which the car wasn't stock at anyways).

Go for the swap. It would be one hell of a car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wut all things do u guys think i would need to have custom fabricated?......i thought of this idea b/c i thought i would b able to do it for about 4000 dollars, which is about the same as an sr20 swap...and still get a better engine...in my opinion..an rb25det engine swap is about 5500 dollars and a rb26dett engine swap is about 15000...so both of those r out of the question for me...thx guys

1 - 20 of 34 Posts