Supra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
I’m new here and looking to start some mods on my 88 Supra. About to do an oil change soon. So figured I’d do some small things like upgrade the oil cooler and coolant lines to steel braided while the system is drained. But after a little research I’ve come to find the oil cooler relief valve only opens at an unknown amount of pressure. Knowing that the 7mgte is notorious for low oil pressure problems: Where exactly is the relief valve? It is built in to the oil filter mount and how would you go about bypassing it? Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
213 Posts
Oil cooler bypass is controlled by the spring and spool valve in this diagram. (Top right corner)

I've completely alleviated the oil cooler bleed off to the engine by removing that steel pipe outlet and tapping and plugging the aluminum hole.
I now run a separate oil cooler circuit that only takes oil from and back to the pan directly.
Controlled by a temp sensor triggering an electric oil pump to a cooler.
Only turns on when needed.

So far works perfect.
I'm still using the stock oil filter housing.
I've slightly modified the oil pump, main oil feed hardline and internals of the stock oil filter housing.
Primarily increasing all diameters to prevent any restrictions.
My oil pressure is now very very good at the engine.
Even at idle.
Also using brand new springs for the piston oil cooler sprayers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I really appreciate the response. So you basically just eliminated it all the way and created your own route to the cooler. When you’re talking about the springs for the pistons are you talking about the Banjo springs?

Also, what temp sensor and pump did you use?

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
213 Posts
Yes completely eliminated, all oil flows to the engine from the pump now.
Yes new oil squirters and springs.

Using a VDO oil pump, bigger bar/plate oil cooler and just a simple temp sensor into 1/2" not bung to oil pan. Don't remember the PN offhand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts