Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 87 supra with the 7mgte. ive been driving the car for a little over a month with no problems. About a week ago it started running warm when its sitting. As long as the car is moving the temp stays normal but when you stop it starts climbing. Ive read a lot about the dreaded blown head gasket problem and I just wanted some advice before I try to replace it. I'm not sure if the head gasket is the problem, ive checked the oil and it doesn't look milky. I have also replaced the radiator and when I drained the old coolant it was pretty clean. was just wondering if it may be something other than the headgasket. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

·
Unlimited Time Attack A70
3,580 Posts
heres some good advice. Replaced the head gasket and head bolts with Arp studs. Do this as soon as possible. This will save you much time and money down the road and will prevent you from overheating your motor and potentially ruining it. Better to do it sooner than later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced thermostat, radiator, water pump, and fan clutch and it was still doing it went to check the coolant temp sensor that sends to the guage and the wire was loose. Put a new connector on and crimped it good and soldered haven't had a problem since

·
YotaMD.com author
737 Posts
Replaced thermostat, radiator, water pump, and fan clutch and it was still doing it went to check the coolant temp sensor that sends to the guage and the wire was loose. Put a new connector on and crimped it good and soldered haven't had a problem since
Good update. Sometimes it's the simple things. My gauge temp sensor went bad recently as well. Gave me a split second heart attack thinking I had overheated the engine while letting it warm up in the garage, haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a 88 supra 7mgte and I've replaced waterpump, megan racing radiator, thermostat, bypassed the heater core valve cause it broke, my factory gauge dont work so I got an o'rileys gauge right now but still says its overheating. It's got an hks headgasket with arp head studs already but was sitting for 3 years with no coolant in it when I bought it so could it be the headgasket? The water in the system is rusty so I'm thinking maybe a block somewhere. Any ideas?

·
90T
593 Posts
Well for sure running rusty water in an iron block is dumb, so flush the coolant and run oxalic acid to try and remove some of the rust. I would check the fan shroud and fan clutch are good and the factory e-fans are working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well for sure running rusty water in an iron block is dumb, so flush the coolant and run oxalic acid to try and remove some of the rust. I would check the fan shroud and fan clutch are good and the factory e-fans are working.
It's got some mishimoto e fans and a megan racing radiator on it already and I made sure the fans are pulling air and not pushing so luckily I dont have to mess with the clutch fan, but I will try flushing it with the oxalic acid! Thank you for replying!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
It's got some mishimoto e fans
Those fans are notoriously weak and incapable of moving a sufficient quantity of air to keep coolant temps down. If you're going to use E-fans do it properly, otherwise stick to the OEM clutch fan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Those fans are notoriously weak and incapable of moving a sufficient quantity of air to keep coolant temps down. If you're going to use E-fans do it properly, otherwise stick to the OEM clutch fan.
What fans would you recommend? They came on the car when I bought it, I've heard good things about mishimoto radiators but personally nothing about the fans.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What fans would you recommend?
I've personally used the Maradyne TA12A3001 12" fan on the Mishimoto fan shroud and they work well. Another option of a slightly better fan would be the Spal 30102038 12". Both pull a fair amount of current so make sure your wiring is up to the task.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've personally used the Maradyne TA12A3001 12" fan on the Mishimoto fan shroud and they work well. Another option of a slightly better fan would be the Spal 30102038 12". Both pull a fair amount of current so make sure your wiring is up to the task.
Oh okay! Thanks for the part numbers! I still need to flush the system with some treatments then I'll go ahead and purchase one of those fans. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts