Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently own a 300zx that im probably going to be selling soon, mostly because i want to find a better project car. ive been thinking about mkiii supras, but cant really find any info on how much potential the motors have, without sacrificing too much reliabilty. also how much reliable power could i expect, with approx $3k into the motor?

thanks for any help youguys can offer.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Assuming you do your own work, $3k will give you a solid motor.

·
Registered
260 Posts
lol...isnt a project car...the mk3 is a wonderful project...and with 3k ready to dump into a motor and other parts he could easilly have 400-450rwhp. on a stock bottom end. ASk jones he'll tell you. Great cars I love mine and I, like the rest will one day be working up to that 400+ mark. its guna be great...besides...isnt the mk3 just a sexy ass car? atleast 5 ppl have came up to me and said, wow...Supra huh? nice car...it fast? etc etc..and mine is bassically stock but some 17"s :)...(well shimmed the gate..but you know)...and one 45 yr old guy came up to me and said...wow celica supra huh? what a classic muscle car....Kinda blew my mind to hear someone refere to it as a muscle car. hah. love em, breath em, eat lotsa rice. mk3's.

-89w

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
I think a good bit of that $3k he's willing to dump would have to go towards fixing issues with the car first. Depending on the car you get you should expect to at least do a metal headgasket job, and be prepared to spend in the neighborhood of $1000 to do it, because while you're in there you should replace the timing belt and various seals and hoses around the motor, and depending on your machine shop's prices it might be a bit more.
brakes, cooling system, suspension, clutch/tranny, etc all should be in 90%+ condition before you start modding the car. Be honest with the car's condition. If you have the money, I've noticed a huge difference in the general condiiton of mk3's in the $4-5k range versus the $2-3k range. Sometimes it would be worth the difference in initial cost or more just to be starting with a well maintained vehicle that wasn't abused.
The best advice for MK3 buyer I could give would be to fall in love AFTER you buy the car and keep a sharp and critical eye out for anything wrong or any sign of abuse. Getting excited and happy about it can make you overlook a lot of big problems. There's a decent FAQ somewhere about what buyers should look for in a MK3.

·
I've been here forever.
2,555 Posts
Supra Junky 101 said:
Why isnt it a project..mine is the project of all projects :D
Mine is a project also, almost done. But yea, heed our warning, stay away, buy something else. Try a turbo II, you might have better luck with that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the input, i was looking at an 88 turbo today, trying to get to test drive it but he didnt have plates. i wish i had the money for it now, but i have to sell my current car first. it was the exact car i was looking for too, but oh well.

i will be doing almost all of the work, almost anythning that would need to do i have the tools to do it. another question, since if i wanted to do any major modding, i would probably need a fairly low mileage motor, do youthink i would be better of trying to just find a low mileage car, or finding a cheaper high mileage, and dropping in a newer motor and tranny with probably 25k or less miles?

thanks

·
no more supras
2,175 Posts
i only said the mk3 isn't a good project car only because of what wreckless just said, which was because of all the head gasket drama that it'll have. i suppose if you're really serious about modding it, it'll be fine, such as dropping a new motor in and such. but yeah... if you really wanna project it up, think about head gasket first.

heck, i might even say for 3k, dump it all into engine internals if you're gonna get a JDM 7m first before doing any more power mods...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MKIII's are project cars by nature. Hell, you may even learn a few new words if you decide to buy one.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My take - ultra low $ required to get into one - lots of money required to have a fast, reliable one. The comment you made about having to sell your current car to have the cash to buy one leads me to believe the MKIII is not correct for you at this point in your life.

That said, the build quality and general fit and finish of the car is very very hard to beat, especially at the price they sell at now.

·
Minor Threat
391 Posts
Hey alpracer16, what year 300zx do you have? I've got 2 Z31s, an '86 turbo and an '88 Special Edition turbo. The MK3s have a much better aftermarket. Makes achieving high horsepower alot easier. If you also own an '84-'89 Z car, you probably already know that cam gears, exhaust manifolds, coilovers, and intercooler kits are either rare JDM items, limited to maybe one or two manufacturers (typically enthusiasts who are putting out parts themselves), or must be custom built. If you don't mind turning wrenches, the MK3 is a great project car. And like all projects, you'll be cursing at it as much as daydreaming about the finished product... :D

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
A TII is just like the MK3 for cost wise.... even for modding and reliablity... both are equal project cars.

·
what will the future hold
916 Posts
I actually dont tink the car is all that hard to work with. I mean fix the head gasket and outside of a few parts that are old you should be set. Go for it and when your making serious power let us all know. Feel free to contact me! [email protected]

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Honestly one thing you could do if you're serious about getting the MKIII is to purchase a higher mileage car with perhaps engine trouble but one that is otherwise a sound car. If you take the $3K, you could pick up a nice JDM low mileage 7M from a reputable importer and drop it in the car... While you have it out, you can install a new headgasket on it and take care of any little problems. While you do the swap you can install a new clutch/flywheel on your new setup. After all that, you might have enough to buy an exhaust/downpipe, and a new intake. That would get you a nice little reliable car that knocks the socks off a Z31.... I sold a Z31 turbo to buy my first Supra and I never looked back. The quality of the Supra is far superior and it shows. You'll fall in love with the Supra trust me... There's no other car like it.

- Hams.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
turbotoy said:
My take - ultra low $ required to get into one - lots of money required to have a fast, reliable one. The comment you made about having to sell your current car to have the cash to buy one leads me to believe the MKIII is not correct for you at this point in your life.

That said, the build quality and general fit and finish of the car is very very hard to beat, especially at the price they sell at now.
by the time i sell my car and have more time to do what i want to do, ill probably have a minimum of 10-12k to work with, including costs for the car. i know it will probably take me a long time to find the right one too. im also not just looking for a short term project.

Dan87turbo said:
Hey alpracer16, what year 300zx do you have? I've got 2 Z31s, an '86 turbo and an '88 Special Edition turbo. The MK3s have a much better aftermarket. Makes achieving high horsepower alot easier. If you also own an '84-'89 Z car, you probably already know that cam gears, exhaust manifolds, coilovers, and intercooler kits are either rare JDM items, limited to maybe one or two manufacturers (typically enthusiasts who are putting out parts themselves), or must be custom built. If you don't mind turning wrenches, the MK3 is a great project car. And like all projects, you'll be cursing at it as much as daydreaming about the finished product... :D
its a 1992 2+2

1 - 20 of 26 Posts