Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
dreamin' again
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how expensive is it to swap the 7mgte in a NA 5spd and what, if any, complications does anyone have doing this? is it cheaper to go NA-T conversion? it is a very high mileage motor so i thought a swap would be better...

also what exactly is TEMS? does it just control shock stiffness?
all the info and advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
TEMS = Search, there are a bajillion threads about it. But yes it controlls the shock stiffness.

I don't want to be dissing any NA-T conversions. But let me just say that high compression motor + turbo will put out great big numbers and be fast, but if not done correctly or on a newer motor it's a time bomb.

7mgte swap should include engine, ecu, r154 (Although I don't think it's necessary, I'd rather have a stronger transmission if I did the swap) downpipe, exhaust manifold, turbo, intercooler (Piping also), and I'm sure I'm missing a few other things. If you buy them all used it will be somewhat cheap, although I'm not sure of a price, I would guess around $1000.

Your name is 1jz dreams, so why don't you get a 1jz? I was quoted $4000 for one and that was a complete drop off/pick up deal at a shop.

·
dreamin' again
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone...

·
El Pollo Diablo
857 Posts
Im looking into it for my own car right now
<story will come later regarding my buying a 'running' engine that ended up having the worst knock ever>

lookin like if you plan for 1500 and dont rush it, you should be fine, with cash left at the end...

·
86.5 Turbo
1,571 Posts
i swapped everything in myself. engine and tranny went in togeather, hooked up all the wires/hose, used my turbo ecu. its not that hard, everything bolts right in. I just had to buy a engine hoist to do it in my driveway. I would do the swap. You can pick up a used 7mgte for cheap along with many other misc parts you may need as well.

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
very very easy to do parts are eveywhere. i would get a complete engine get the matching engine harness, coil packs, cps, ecu rebuild and regasket it. and swap it in. its straight forward. use your tranny until you decide to drop some major power down. its very very easy

·
way over budget
664 Posts
i did it for ~400 bucks. bought a turbo car to rape ($750), parted the rest of it out to make back money, and had a great working car for 3 days until my turbo went KAPLOW!! fixed that, now bottem end has gone KAPLOW!! also. but it sure is an easy swap.

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
plan on ~3000$ if you wanna do it right. I bought a jdm engine and had to rebuild it: ARP head studs, HKS mhg, get the head and block lapped, all new bottom end bearings and rings, get the crank machined and the rods resized.

after all was said and done i have a solid engine that i would have no problem putting 450hp to, but if you just want the turbo engine with all the possibilities of a bhg and no real logevity just rape one outa another turbo supra. Also youll be spending a bit of money on a clutch because the NA clutch wont hold a thing. Then you may want to go with the R154 but then you need the driveshaft and diff.

Its a lot of work especially if its your first time; trust me i was told oh just swap it out its a weekend thing. BULLSHIT! It will be a summer project and then youll be able to put the engine in during the winter months unless you pay somone to do the full rebuild and install for you. This is costly though because once again its a big job.

·
Registered
75 Posts
From what I've heard, swapping a 7mgte in is much easier/cheaper/more reliable.

Like stallion said, your best bet would be finding a complete donor car, pulling the engine, rebuilding it, then swapping it back in along with the turbo drivetrain.

I've been seriously contemplating this swap as a summer project, but the more I think about it, the less confidant I am in my abilities execute before school resumes. Oh well, I guess I'll just mod my new RSX-s...

Oh yeah and TEMS = toyota electronically modulated suspention

·
El Pollo Diablo
857 Posts
My TEMS is actin up!

I hate you Gage.

anyway yeah, if you can find a donor car, preferably BHG style, usually not too expensive...
too bad for me that my buddies and I <lowbudget among them> have pretty much cornered the market on local Supras to steal parts from.

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
My buddy tissimo on SF and I pulled the swap off easily in my 86.5 NA. He had the motor for 6 months popped the HG and then decided to go 1J so he sold me his motor with Apexi intake and full 3in custom exhaust for 2200 with 70K on motor. It bolted in just fine. the only complications we had was the dirty fuel tank and rusted to hell fuel pump cause the car sat for 2.5 years in a field before purchase. which was to be expected, and then we had a PTE 550 injectors that got stuck open so we had to buy a new one other than that a piece of cake. If we didnt have to wait on a fuel pump clean the tank and wait for the injector it would've been a week swap but that turned out to be 3 weeks. man it sucked. all n all easy swap.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
dr. jones is the man.. has it all writen up for you.. :bigthumb:

Reactions: drjonez

·
Akai Suisei - &#36196;&#12356;&#24407;&#26143;
10,376 Posts
just for reference... i sold my entire 7M setup with transmission for 1200. that included harness, ECU, etc etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have the time and money just swap a 7mgte in. Much more reliable. There is small differences. Or if u really want to if u rebuild the bottom end of the 7mge put the turbo pistons and rings in. Should lower the compression to handle the turbo setup. Either way I would do a rebuild of whichever engine you go with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts