Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SLAMPIGS R US....BJBBQFTW
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when putting a 7mgte with a r154 tranny in place of my n/a with the w58 will i have to change the drive shaft??

i also have to swap engine mount brackets too right? like take from GE block and put on GTE block?

and is all the vaccumes nessisary? which ones can i eliminate?

K

·
0 Posts
you will need a turbo rear too. if you use the N/A rear it makes a lot of noise and the gear ratio's are different. you'll also need a turbo ECU.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
NA rear with W-58 is fine, I'm running it right now. When I up the HP a little more I'm going to switch over, but it's low on my list of things to do. the engine mounts will be fine, but you'll need the turbo driveshaft and the turbo slave cylinder and clutch line. Also, make sure you have a turbo-manual ECU from the correct year. As for vacuum lines, you can't really eliminate any of them unless you start changing stuff. If you get rid of the EGR, you can eliminate about half the vacuum lines, because at that point the only things that really need it are the FPR, BOV, cruise control, heater, and charcoal box.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well...i have a 89 turbo auto ecu...i heard that'll work fine...i used the entire harness from the 89 and put it in the 87.....and with the mounts; the 2 look totally different....and umm....will the auto rear from the 89 work on the 87? how long you think the w58 tranny and clutch will hold up with normal driving and once in a while gettin on it from a roll??? summer maby??

just for record.....
87 n/a 5 spd (the project)
89 turbo auto (parts)

·
Project:: Reaper
1,401 Posts
KVSupra87 said:
you will need a turbo rear too. if you use the N/A rear it makes a lot of noise and the gear ratio's are different. you'll also need a turbo ECU.
I have the NA 4.30 LSD rear well atleast it was in my NA 86.5. no noise here. the gears are mad low- mid range tho.

i did the same swap but now going 1JZ hopefully in a few months.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
SlpyEyedSpoolin said:
well...i have a 89 turbo auto ecu...i heard that'll work fine...i used the entire harness from the 89 and put it in the 87.....and with the mounts; the 2 look totally different....and umm....will the auto rear from the 89 work on the 87? how long you think the w58 tranny and clutch will hold up with normal driving and once in a while gettin on it from a roll??? summer maby??

just for record.....
87 n/a 5 spd (the project)
89 turbo auto (parts)
you can't mix and match pre-89 with post-89. You'll actually need a completely different crossmember to make the other mounts work, unless someone has made some sort of adapter, which I doubt. Also, your wiring harness will probably not work right either. IIRC, you can use a manual transmission ECU with an auto, but not an auto with a manual. It does something when you shift and it thinks the car is stalling or something, but I could be wrong about that (might be the other way around) seach and you'll find that thread. I'm not saying that you aren't going to be able to make all the parts work, but this is no longer a drop-in swap.

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
You DON'T need to swap the x-member. Use the mounts off the N/A. Not just the rubber, but the aluminum part that mounts to the block as well.

Early '89s have the same engine harness -> body plugs as the '87, later ones don't. If the body plugs are the same you're fine. If not, look for an early '89 harness. The early '89s are special because they have the '87-'88 body plugs and the '89+ ecu plugs.

You can use the auto ECU no problem. The manual one is just tuned slightly more agressive. These cars have a seperate tranny ECU so it's not as big of a deal as the ones with the tranny and engine ECU's as one (e.g. Camry's). The 1JZ auto has the sensor that retards timing during shifts, maybe that's what you're thinking of, wh0wants2know?

Edit:
Also, the rear from the '89 will work just fine. It will be a 3.73:1 LSD. There is no difference between the manual and auto rears on MK3s.

·
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aiiiight....that helps alot....thanx!!! so i guess im comin out sooner than i thought... :drool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts