Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· "Yeah! Take the lemons.."
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble tearing down my 7mgte I got in on thurs. I'm trying to separate the head and block so I can have it machined but having alot of unexpected issues.. been feeling pretty frustrated and hopeless.. I've never done this before so that's probably why, but I don't want to give up. :sad:

I don't want to have to pay the shop to do it mainly because I'm on a budget and I want to learn from this firsthand since I've taken a liking to Supras.

I was wondering if there's anyone on here in the South Bay, Southern California around LA county. I'll be working on this all through the weekend and weekday until I have it in my 89 supra.

If anyone feels like lending a helping hand and has free time I could really use some help! :doh:

· The Great Kruso
4,230 Posts
If you're running into a problem post it here, pictures help a ton and most of the knowledgeable folks here on SF will be able to walk you through anything. If you're asking for a lending help then post in the regional section and see if you find a few local guys there.

Kruso

· Registered
472 Posts
Forget the bag & zip-tie route, this is fine for someone with a lot of mechanic experience, but for a newbie, you want to stop what you are doing and prepare a little more. Start by taking plenty of pics and some video of where everything goes, use a piece of cardboard to hold the bolts and place it the item that the bolts belong to. Tape and mark hoses wires, vacuum lines w/corresponding #'s to their location on the engine. It is a lot of work to prep engine for tear down, but it makes the rebuild a breeze.

The PO of my Supra did the bag thing w/nothing labeled other than the bags. The rebuild process took for ever, even though I have been working on cars as a hobby for 20yrs. If it weren't for the FSM link above I might still be trying to get the engine to run.

1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here, I'll loan you my book
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=39
just keep the grease off the pages..........
Ya I printed out that whole section and put the pages in see thru sleeves and ringed them. The thing is there is not a picture for EVERY step and I don't know what most of what they want me to take off is, or where.

My main problem in my way of wanting to undo the head bolts is the intake chamber. I disconnected everything from the intake chamber but it still won't come off, I even tapped it with a hammer while pulling. I got mad and I kicked it... and still, nothing.

Very frustrating.

· A Happy Dad
2,346 Posts
My main problem in my way of wanting to undo the head bolts is the intake chamber. I disconnected everything from the intake chamber but it still won't come off, I even tapped it
must still be a bolt on it underneath, BTW it is a lot easier to pull the head off with intake and exhaust still on it, just a little heavier. Use two people

Be patient, don't get mad and break something

· Registered
472 Posts
It will be easier to not try to use the oem names for items, this is where it can get overwhelming for a novice mech. Just remove the items as they need to be, and once removed put them in the order they came off on a bench, table, on section of the garage floor, etc., this will also help during the rebuild.

You should never have to pry/hammer anything off of an engine, if you are, you have missed something. Look/feel for bolts that you may have missed, even in places that look like there shouldn't be a bolt. Toyota is famous for putting hidden bolts in places, as well as having long bolts that goe trough component to the block/head etc.

If it is starting to get to be overwhelming, stop and take a break and come back to it in a few hours or the next day, hurrying will only lead to failure since you will either break something, or miss something on the rebuild and be out more money than you were trying to save by doing the job yourself.

1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will be easier to not try to use the oem names for items, this is where it can get overwhelming for a novice mech. Just remove the items as they need to be, and once removed put them in the order they came off on a bench, table, on section of the garage floor, etc., this will also help during the rebuild.

You should never have to pry/hammer anything off of an engine, if you are, you have missed something. Look/feel for bolts that you may have missed, even in places that look like there shouldn't be a bolt. Toyota is famous for putting hidden bolts in places, as well as having long bolts that goe trough component to the block/head etc.

If it is starting to get to be overwhelming, stop and take a break and come back to it in a few hours or the next day, hurrying will only lead to failure since you will either break something, or miss something on the rebuild and be out more money than you were trying to save by doing the job yourself.
Ty. Was about to go mad!

· Hardtop FTW
1,931 Posts
must still be a bolt on it underneath, BTW it is a lot easier to pull the head off with intake and exhaust still on it, just a little heavier. Use two people

Be patient, don't get mad and break something
I have on a few occasions hooked my engine hoist to the head and used it to lift if off the block. Sometimes it needs some help coming loose. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.