Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the 1jz any longer than the 7m? i know its not a big deal to you supra guys, but ive got limited room in my ride

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the 7m into a ra24 chassis is a tight fit, but i know the 1jz swaps been done, and even a 2jz into a 3rd gen celica

·
Registered
939 Posts
Dont know about the 7m but the 1J is 29 1/2 from the back of the block to the front of the water pump studs. So you would need at a minimum 30in for a little room at both ends. Take care to have room for electric fans and radiator room it would be very tight but has been done in a 76-77. Im in the process in a 84 2wd 4Runner and are dealing with about the same amount or lack there of room. Was thinking about it in my 72 Celica but the engine would be about 1/2-3/4in from the radiator mounting support. Still may try it though some day.
Good luck with yours go for a truck 8in rearend when you do it.
Cary

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh hey cary, its my flyspyder55 from classic celica... your a lifesaver on the stats. i head teh 71-75 is alot tighter, i'm going out to measure the engine bay now lol. i'm thinking i can cut the last 2 crank pully's completely off the crank (well have the machine shop do it) to free up some space thats another inch right there, i'd like to leave the radiator in the stock position and put the intercooler behind the grill (a small efficient one)

it'll be while before i get the rearend done... just have to not launch hard till i get the rear done. some of them come with 4.11 posi stock right?
i get you all confuzed cary, carey, karey ( i think) all of you are RG guru's so its hard to separate you guys lol

·
Registered
939 Posts
No problem its Cary by the way.
Did you know the length on the 7M? What is the pulley set up on the belt order cant remember? Closest to the engine is alt/ w/p I think but the water pump sticks out the farthest and is the limiting factor as I recall?
Cary

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ohh intercooler wise a conquest/starion intercooler is a good fit for in front of the grill depending on how far forward the rad has to go. You can weld 2 toghether and stack them for more area also. This is the setup I have for the supercharged Rg in my 72 Celica. Also Andy, Peter and I think Karey has the same setup.
Cary

·
Registered
939 Posts
http://www.supracharged.com./other_trucks/derek/clearance.jpg
here is a picture of the 7m and the water pump is the limiting factor not the crank pulley! This is the same situation on the 1J but it is almost the same as the lower single pulley. This was part of my desision for the 1j instead of the 7mgte which i already had everything for and sold to get the 1j clip.
Cary

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i had a awsome idea teh other day, go ahead and move the readiator as far forward as possible, lke 3.5 inches.... and just use a water to air intercooler.

think a oem GT4 intercooler will be sufficient enough?

·
Registered
939 Posts
They were not good enough for the 200-245hp the gt4 put out so I doubt the intercooler would do what you need. In my truck Im going to use a JDM GS300 all aluminum side mount intercooler that I stole from Ebay. The auction was won for 122.50 including shipping from Japan. The problem for the guy was shipping was 107.50 so he made 15.00 bucks. OOPS! This might be a little big to fit some where but there may be room. Also ebay has some long skinny intercoolers that may work also below the bumper and above the valance.
did you have the measurement on the 7m yet?
(back of block to waterpump studs)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no i didnt, i measured right at 29.75 inches from the back of my 22r to the radiator. so thats gotta go forward, for sure. i figure i'll have enough room for an air to water, i just dont know shit baout em.... whats good wahts bad what am i looking for?>

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what are you using for engine mounts? and waht tranny

·
Registered
939 Posts
Im using the r154 with a swapped 5th gear to get a .63(compared to .75) cant remember which 5th gear. Mounts im making to fit in the stock 22r location with the stock 22r mount. Cant really use the 1j mounts do to different type and angles.
what you are going to want to do is back the engine all the way up and leave 1/2 or so at the back for the firewall and go from there. I think everyone is using the brackets from a 5mg to get the engine to bolt in but i dont know where that puts the engine.
not sure on the intercoolers sorry.
Cary

·
Registered
939 Posts
I figured that would get some attention!! I will have to find the post I cant take credit for it. Basically take the 5th gear assy out of a r150 trans and swap it out. This works do to a different front cluster ratio and nets a lower 5th ratio. I will see if i can find the article and post it here from work.
Cary

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
You have no idea how awesome this is to me. It's like a sixth gear - highway cruising, higher top speed --- everybody frickin wins, baby!

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Old-Skool said:
I know this is kinda off-topic, but does anyone know if a 7m-ge would fit into an 87 celica without too much work? Thanks
87 celica = 3S series motor, isn't it? Front wheel drive?

In other words, no, it's impossible to do it "without too much work". It's just like putting a 7M-GE in a Camry.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sorry it took so long here is the info for the gears!!
Keep in mind this is related to 4x but the gears in the trannys are the same as what is being stated. Ohh and i was wrong its a .63 5th ratio with this mod if using the R150 gears in the R154 tranny.
the R452 tranny will be to hard to get a hold of for most people and a .52 would be a little bit to much i think.
Cary

Heh heh, seems you are a little confused by mismatching MY
use of the R154 and overdrive gears with the others, LOL.

Lets see if I can explain this a little better. Its all to do with each
trannys cluster gears.

The R150 and 151 both have the same cluster gear ratio which is 1.482 and
both have the same overdrive gear ratio of 0.565. So 1.482 x 0.565 = 0.83 =
17% overdrive.

But the R154 has a cluster ratio of 1.117 and an overdrive gear ratio of
0.674. Therefore, 1.117 x 0.674 = 0.75 = 25% overdrive.

But if I use either the R150 or 151 overdrive gears (0.565) in my R154 its
1.117 x 0.565 = 0.63 overdrive.

The R452 also has a different cluster of 1.769 but also a different
overdrive gear ratio of 0.469 so 1.769 x 0.469 also = 0.83 = 17% overdrive.
But if I use these gears in my R154 it becomes 1.117 x 0.469 = 0.52 = 48%
overdrive.

No point in using the R154 overdrive gears in a R150/151 as its 1.482 x
0.674 = 0.99 !!!!!! You don't need another top gear.

But what if you use the R452 overdrive gears (0.469) in a R150/151. This
means 1.482 x 0.469 = 0.69 = 31% overdrive. There you have it, LOL.

:)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
why do you wanta longer 5th gear? i'd actually lke to modify mine so that its shorter that way it pulls all the way through 5th

1 - 20 of 28 Posts