Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Moved to the dark side
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the net searching for the ultimate brake caliper. I ran into an eight piston setup used on the AMG SL55. This 600 hp 2000kg car has very very big disks (390mm or so) and eight piston calipers. I found a caliper for rather cheap on the german ebay so the project could start. Yes, only ONE caliper, the least investment possible.
Here is a picture of the caliper next to the 'big brake upgrade' by Rotora. This AMG caliper makes any other caliper look like an ant.

This caliper is huge huge huge:

Now the SL55 has 19 inch rims (smaller don't fit) but my goal was to go with 18 inch rims. So the caliper must fit with 355mm disks, the ones I have from rotora. Well it seems like 'forget it' is the right word:

I think the caliper really requires 380 or 390mm disks. Well, so long for the wild idea. I'm putting this project in the fridge :) Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated. Maybe someone know some donor where I can get the disks from?

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
I am pretty sure for the NSX, a company called Tariq or Taroq or something like that makes a 10 piston upgrade for the front.

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
Now much was that?

Brembo, Trust, etc etc all have 8piston brake kits

·
Registered
250 Posts
There's an Endless EWIG 12 piston caliper front and 6 piston caliper rear for the Porsche. That would be one hell of a project. Of course it'll set you back a mere $16k. :bigthumb:

·
2jz powered
1,688 Posts
any pics of the Endless EWIG 12 piston caliper ???

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
so whats the point of these brakes? you do know that after a certain point, braking is limited to the traction of the tires and the center of gravity + pivot point of the car...

you can have 22inch titanium cross drilled and slotted disks with 48 piston brakes... i really dont give a fuck, but your car will just skid like a racoon on ice

·
Banned
338 Posts
swearitsstock said:
so whats the point of these brakes? you do know that after a certain point, braking is limited to the traction of the tires and the center of gravity + pivot point of the car...

you can have 22inch titanium cross drilled and slotted disks with 48 piston brakes... i really dont give a fuck, but your car will just skid like a racoon on ice
you don't always need to slam on the brakes and skid. there will be better response with bigger brakes and better performance.

·
5,058 Posts
I don't think your only problem will be the rotor diameter. I'd be more conserned with the width of the caliper itself and what size spacers your gonna need so your wheel face can clear the caliper. Hell it might be too much and your front wheels will stickout.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The subject or larger has been discussed several times in the road racing section.

If you want bling sicko looking brakes, go for it. Other than that, you're probably wasting time with such brakes.

G

·
The 55's are rated at 493hp. The 65's get a twin turbo v12 making 600 hp. (useless info)

My e's brakes are 8 piston and fit in an 18" wheel. And they look bigger :dunno:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Rotora also makes 8-piston kit for the Supra. Might wanna check the rotor on that kit, could possibly work with the AMG caliper.

But all in all, the 6-piston kit that you have is more than enough.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts