Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the time has finally arrived for me to step up to the single turbo conversion on my 94 TT and would like to get 800 rwhp .. I will posibly be running a map ecu in the meantime .. until I can afford a stand alone unit

1. what turbo do you guys recommend to achieve my goal with not too much lag?

2. can I achieve 800 RWHP thru 3" exhaust piping?

3. what would I need to upgrade in the motor to support such a # ?

4. is 2 stock fuel pumps capable of handling the task? and what size injectors ?

thanks guys

Erik

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
easily - 74gts
maybe - 71

yes, but why? Spend the extra couple hundred and get the 4"

Nothing really. Cams/retainers would help alot.

4. is 2 stock fuel pumps capable of handling the task? and what size injectors ?
yes. 8xx cc's I forget the exact #.

You'll need atleast a VPC and safc as well. Aem is the best though.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
supratter said:
so the time has finally arrived for me to step up to the single turbo conversion on my 94 TT and would like to get 800 rwhp .. I will posibly be running a map ecu in the meantime .. until I can afford a stand alone unit

thanks guys

Erik
1) 71 will do it but barely..... you will need cams though

2) No! get a 4"

3) Cams....... Fuel, FMIC, engine management, etc

4) Yes, 2 stockers will be fine. 84LB inj or larger.

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I am at BPU .. FMIC, Titan Cam gears, and I bought the ebay manifold/ dp kit so I wanted to see if I could make it all work since I already have a 3" RMM downpipe and exhaust .. instead of spending another $800 on mp/dp combo plus another $800+ on a 4" exhaust ..

what cams would work best with my set up ?

thanks for your responses

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
supratter said:
well I am at BPU .. FMIC, Titan Cam gears, and I bought the ebay manifold/ dp kit so I wanted to see if I could make it all work since I already have a 3" RMM downpipe and exhaust .. instead of spending another $800 on mp/dp combo plus another $800+ on a 4" exhaust ..

what cams would work best with my set up ?

thanks for your responses

If drag racing and highway runs - 272's
If road racing/auto cross/quick spool - 264's

You most likely won't be able to use your RMM downpipe.
With your ebay mani, you'll need a local shop to fab a DP and MP to connect to your exsisting cat back. The reason you'll need it fabbed is so it will all fit together.

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no road / drag racing for me just eventually highway runs :) .. and I was told by a local shop that the downpipe that comes with the kit will work and will just need to modify the rmm mid pipe to make it all fit .. if it comes down to having another dp made then I will just have it all made at 4"

how do you like you're AEM set up ?? I'm also debating if the MAP ECU will work good for my goals or just get a AEM or HKS V pro .

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
I was safc/vpc before AEM. If you are a do it yourselfer, know what you want the car to do specifically, and have computer knowledge, the AEM is AWESOME! It is by far the best thing I did to the car for having complete control of all aspects.

Map ecu - I don't know much about them. I've read alot of complaints though.

If aem is out of budget, go with what's proven... vpc/safc2. You can always resell them for close to what you have in them when you step up to AEM.

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does the AEM still allowes you to keep the a/c ?? my car will be a street car so keeping all of its functions it's a must ..

·
Ex-hardtopper
1,919 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
If drag racing and highway runs - 272's
If road racing/auto cross/quick spool - 264's
Quick question, what would the top end hp difference between the 264s and 272s on a car like mine? Stock untouched motor, BL fuel system, FMIC, BL67P, 4" exhaust, VPC/AFC, etc?

Greg

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Boostrush said:
Quick question, what would the top end hp difference between the 264s and 272s on a car like mine? Stock untouched motor, BL fuel system, FMIC, BL67P, 4" exhaust, VPC/AFC, etc?

Greg

No clue. Maybe a shop will step up for that one.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
1) 74 GTS or GTX at a minimum

2) No

3) Cams, springs, retainers - minimum. Valves, minor head work; or a complete build.

4) Yes; 84 LB or higher.

On a side note, I would recommend just buying a new MP/DP setup for a clean install. The RMM is only 3" anyway, time to get rid of it.

You also will need a clutch/tranny, complete fuel system, wideband kit, boost, oil pressure, egt gauge at a minimum, in-cabin fuel pressure and oil temp. gauges are preferred, EMS, 4" exhaust, a catch can would be a good idea, plenty of misc. parts to go along with your setup. 800 RWHP is not as easy as the 4 questions you asked. It's a much more complicated series of questions, answers, more questions-cycle-than a set of 4 simple answers. The most important thing is something that you have neglected to even consider. Where to go for tuning? The tuner is the most important step of the cycle. In the hands of your tuner is where the HP can be found.

Joe

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LLCoolJ94 said:
1) 74 GTS or GTX at a minimum

2) No

3) Cams, springs, retainers - minimum. Valves, minor head work; or a complete build.

4) Yes; 84 LB or higher.

On a side note, I would recommend just buying a new MP/DP setup for a clean install. The RMM is only 3" anyway, time to get rid of it.

You also will need a clutch/tranny, complete fuel system, wideband kit, boost, oil pressure, egt gauge at a minimum, in-cabin fuel pressure and oil temp. gauges are preferred, EMS, 4" exhaust, a catch can would be a good idea, plenty of misc. parts to go along with your setup. 800 RWHP is not as easy as the 4 questions you asked. It's a much more complicated series of questions, answers, more questions-cycle-than a set of 4 simple answers. The most important thing is something that you have neglected to even consider. Where to go for tuning? The tuner is the most important step of the cycle. In the hands of your tuner is where the HP can be found.

Joe

well I was thinking about doing valve springs/ retainers and cams a little down the road .. but have read about lots of people doing 800 whp on stock long block and even more if I recall correctly that's why I only asked if it was possible to do it thru a 3" exhaust system as well, eventually I was gonna switch to a 4" setup but at the moment I think if close to 800 rwhp is achievable thru a 3" then I'm happy for now :)

as far as gauges of course I would be running a wideband, boost and EGT .. would it be necessary to get the additional gauges you listed?? I want to keep the gauges set up as simple as possible ... then of course a complete fuel system will be on the works as soon as I piece my single kit together .... and I may do an EMS but it's not in my budget at the moment so if I could use another option ( map ecu, vpc & afc ) will be good , as far as tunning I need to figure out what I will be running if a map ecu, aem or v pro and then I can decide or start looking for a tuner but I know of 2 guys locally that can tune a map ecu and AEM

thanks for your response

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,487 Posts
supratter said:
well I was thinking about doing valve springs/ retainers and cams a little down the road .. but have read about lots of people doing 800 whp on stock long block and even more if I recall correctly that's why I only asked if it was possible to do it thru a 3" exhaust system as well, eventually I was gonna switch to a 4" setup but at the moment I think if close to 800 rwhp is achievable thru a 3" then I'm happy for now :)

as far as gauges of course I would be running a wideband, boost and EGT .. would it be necessary to get the additional gauges you listed?? I want to keep the gauges set up as simple as possible ... then of course a complete fuel system will be on the works as soon as I piece my single kit together .... and I may do an EMS but it's not in my budget at the moment so if I could use another option ( map ecu, vpc & afc ) will be good , as far as tunning I need to figure out what I will be running if a map ecu, aem or v pro and then I can decide or start looking for a tuner but I know of 2 guys locally that can tune a map ecu and AEM

thanks for your response
I don't think you've seen much more than 800 RWHP on the stock LONG block. I really don't remember the exact record, though I could have sworn it was in the 700's :scratch:. The stock SHORT block was proven to put down over 1000 RWHP sure. But that was achieved with work done to the long block. I would say the bare minimum for gauges would be the boost and oil pressure. But fuel pressure and oil temperature would be ideal. The problem with EGT gauges is that for best results you need six! If you have a wideband, you can get away without having an EGT gauge. But ideally they are preferred.

It seems like you have an idea of how to select a tuner. If you are not going with the AEM or Motec EMS, I would strongly recommend the HKS V-Pro F-Con or however it is written lol. I don't really care for the MAP ECU due to the number of problems almost everyone has with it. The VPC/S-AFC is also a good setup, but I think the HKS is better. Make sure when you choose a tuner, the chief factor is not locale, but reputation. If you have to fly him, fly him in. If you have to ship your car out, ship it out. You don't want to fuck up 10k worth of parts under your hood because you decided to cheap out on the tuning. Otherwise, gauges will be the least of your concern :tongue: and cams, springs, retainers will seem like a happy memory.

·
Registered
33 Posts
LLCoolJ94 said:
I don't think you've seen much more than 800 RWHP on the stock LONG block. I really don't remember the exact record, though I could have sworn it was in the 700's :scratch:. The stock SHORT block was proven to put down over 1000 RWHP sure. But that was achieved with work done to the long block. I would say the bare minimum for gauges would be the boost and oil pressure. But fuel pressure and oil temperature would be ideal. The problem with EGT gauges is that for best results you need six! If you have a wideband, you can get away without having an EGT gauge. But ideally they are preferred.

It seems like you have an idea of how to select a tuner. If you are not going with the AEM or Motec EMS, I would strongly recommend the HKS V-Pro F-Con or however it is written lol. I don't really care for the MAP ECU due to the number of problems almost everyone has with it. The VPC/S-AFC is also a good setup, but I think the HKS is better. Make sure when you choose a tuner, the chief factor is not locale, but reputation. If you have to fly him, fly him in. If you have to ship your car out, ship it out. You don't want to fuck up 10k worth of parts under your hood because you decided to cheap out on the tuning. Otherwise, gauges will be the least of your concern :tongue: and cams, springs, retainers will seem like a happy memory.
:golfclap:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I went 10.03 on the VPC/SAFC2 and the Stock longblock... That's got to be right at 800rwhp through a stock auto, although I never dynoed. It was 30psi on a 72mm turbo w/ full 4" exhaust, and 880cc injectors. The VPC/SAFC combo is easy to tune yourself w/ a wideband, and reliable, although I am stepping up to AEM currently due to my thirst for the 1000hp mark.

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my bad I meant short block .. and yes I'm leaning more towards an AEM after all the turbo/ fuel is done .. will see

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
InTheRed said:
I went 10.03 on the VPC/SAFC2 and the Stock longblock... That's got to be right at 800rwhp through a stock auto, although I never dynoed. It was 30psi on a 72mm turbo w/ full 4" exhaust, and 880cc injectors. The VPC/SAFC combo is easy to tune yourself w/ a wideband, and reliable, although I am stepping up to AEM currently due to my thirst for the 1000hp mark.
that's good to know , I know the VPC SAFC it's easy to tune .. but how reliable is it ?? like I said I'm looking at 800rwhp for now .. maybe later I will get hunger for the 1000hp :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts