Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Wheel Werkes
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been wondering about this for a couple of days now.

On a 2J both making the same power on different turbos. Say both on a .96ar, and the bigger turbo having a bigger turbine wheel. Would the top end be better (pull harder) on the bigger turbo? I know the smaller one would have better mid range, but how about the top end?

I know it seems like a super noob question. But since i do most of my playing at higher speeds, would it make a difference in the top end having a bigger turbo making the same power up against the smaller turbo?

T.I.A.

· Wheel Fitment Guru
4,887 Posts
To get a 67mm to 800whp is going to take 34+psi of boost (if it will actually hit that mark). That is a lot of stress on the motor. A 72mm turbo will take less boost to hit that but will have a bit more lag. The 72 mm turbo will hit harder when the power comes on and will have more flow for top end power.

R.K.

· Wheel Werkes
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well with the new 67. High 7 low 8's is possible. I do have a mild port job on the head and a custom intake mani. to help. I really like the new 67 and that turbo overall for street use lag is pretty low. But the kick of the 70+mm turbo is awesome.

Just wanted some opinions. I do want to see boost in first gear. Im sure a 72 w/ a .96ar would do the job.

Not sure if you guys have seen the threads on here. Theres a 2.6L making high 7's with the 6765 and an IS300 making 830. Pretty hard decision if you ask me LoL

· Banned
327 Posts
Lower boost levels doesnt always mean less stress. Boost pressure is related to both mass flow and temp, so if you have 60lb/min going into the engine @ 30psi, its not really less stressing to the engine than 60lb/min @ 35psi. Its safer because you are less likely to have detonation, but you are still exerting about the same force on the pistons, rods, crank, etc...

Example... Making 750whp @ 32psi isnt better for the engine than making 700whp @ 35psi.

· Domestics Won't Dig Me!!
505 Posts
It'll be tough to hit 800 on a 67 why wouldn't you just get a 72 or a 74
I beleive 870whp has been made already... Why wouldnt you get a 72?? Because the peak HP isnt everything.. The power under the curve on a 67mm will make for a sweet street / strip car IMO..

MIke

· Wheel Fitment Guru
4,887 Posts
Lower boost levels doesnt always mean less stress. Boost pressure is related to both mass flow and temp, so if you have 60lb/min going into the engine @ 30psi, its not really less stressing to the engine than 60lb/min @ 35psi. Its safer because you are less likely to have detonation, but you are still exerting about the same force on the pistons, rods, crank, etc...

Example... Making 750whp @ 32psi isnt better for the engine than making 700whp @ 35psi.
You realize that 5psi can make or break your factory shortblock. Thats quite a bit more stress along with the heat from the compressed air going into your motor. I would rather run a 74mm/76mm turbo at 22 psi making over 700rwhp than pushing a 67mm to 30+ psi to achieve the same number.

R.K.

· Working OT
9,049 Posts
You realize that 5psi can make or break your factory shortblock. Thats quite a bit more stress along with the heat from the compressed air going into your motor. I would rather run a 74mm/76mm turbo at 22 psi making over 700rwhp than pushing a 67mm to 30+ psi to achieve the same number.

R.K.
exactly I don't understand why everyone is so fucking excited about these 67's get over it and buy a real turbo 74 or bigger

· Registered
139 Posts
I beleive 870whp has been made already... Why wouldnt you get a 72?? Because the peak HP isnt everything.. The power under the curve on a 67mm will make for a sweet street / strip car IMO..

MIke
870whp on a 67? wtf type of dyno's do people use these days? Does the math even say that is possible on a Supra setup? Sadly seems like Supras are single handedly making dyno numbers meaningless.

· The Good Doctor
2,408 Posts
exactly I don't understand why everyone is so fucking excited about these 67's get over it and buy a real turbo 74 or bigger
thank god you said it cause i was going to say so. i had a 67 and definitely wasn't anything to cheer about. i then went to a 74 and have no regrets.

MIke

:bsflag: 870rwhp with a 67

· Boost Junkie
15,154 Posts
870whp on a 67? wtf type of dyno's do people use these days? Does the math even say that is possible on a Supra setup? Sadly seems like Supras are single handedly making dyno numbers meaningless.

See the post above this one. It is one of the new 6765 turbos.

Steve

· Registered
147 Posts
^Yea thats one dyno which who knows if those results are legit. Once we see that the 6765 is making 800rwhp consistently on the Supra platform then we can agree that its better than the 72. Till then its still up in the air.

p.s. making 850rwhp and 700tq with the 6765 at 30.5psi even if on q16 on seems pretty farfetched.

· The Good Doctor
2,408 Posts
well that car has yeah a lot of it is the headwork/port/polish and a new intake manifold.

mods list:
ENGINE:
Fully built/blueprinted/balanced 2JZ-GE block
Manley rods and Arias pistons (0.20 overbore)
SRT custom Stage 2 port and polished 2JZ-GE head
HKS 264/264 camshafts
Titan Motorsports adjustable cam gears
Titan Motorsports harmonic crank dampener pulley
SRT custom CNC machined timing gear
Crower valve springs/retainers
Toyota Supra TT head gasket
ARP head studs
SRT custom engine mounts
Precision PT6765S T4 Billet turbo w/ 0.96 exhaust A/R
Haltech E11v2 standalone engine management system
Haltech twin ignitors
HKS DLI ignition amplifier
Toyota Supra TT coilpacks
SRT tubular exhaust manifold
SRT ver. 2 intake manifold
SRT custom intercooler with 4.5" thick core
SRT custom polished intercooler piping
Tial 44mm wastegate with open dump
Two Blitz Super Sound Dual Drive blow-off valves
75mm throttle body
5-bar MAP sensor
Precision 1,260 cc fuel injectors
Two Walbro 255 lph fuel pumps
SRT fuel return kit
Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
Koyo radiator
SRT 3" downpipe
SRT 3" exhaust with Tanabe muffler
SRT custom oil catch can
ARC titanium radiator shroud
ARC oil and radiator caps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.