Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this clown starts revving his engine at the light we get to.....he wants to show his girlfriend (sitting next to him), that the detroit muscle scares my lil jap roadster just with the revvin...boy was he wrong when my little green gnome who lives in the turbo decided to sneeze and spin my turbine to kick his dumbass.....little to his knowledge that my turbo is ready to hiss its last hiss soon. First gear, he took about 3/4 car length but as soon as 2nd hit and I was spoolin enough, he was gone, 3rd and 4th just seemed to make him look like he was going in reverse. Got to the next light and he immediately asked, "what the hell have you done to that!!" I smiled and said, "it's stock!", and under my breath of course, said "a stock 88 engine that is...." The next time he rolls up to a stock 5mge (much respect for, mine had 253,000 when i retired it), he'll think twice about trying the same show again.....

:D

S

·
0 Posts
Hi Wade.....

Your Mk2 looks great man. One day, when I get really brave it'll be time to do the 7MGTE conversion. You've gotta love the power I'm sure....

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
MelloYello said:
Nice kill. I have a spare 7m I'd like to dump into a mkii :cool:
Well fire that baby up!

You can get a decent MkII for about $2700, and then chuck that 7M in there and start killing people left and right. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:ak:

I got my baby for 2,800 and the old 5mge was in very good shape. It's been with me for about 4 years now. (Anyone interested in the 5m???, I'll part with it for very cheap).

One question for all you 7mgte mkII's........how can you get the heater to stay on hot even when the turbo kicks in? Since the heater system works off of vacuum, I tend to have the heater go to cold everytime the turbo kicks in. Any solutions to that problem? I live in Salt Lake City, and the heater is great as long as I don't have an SS next to me that wants to race me.

Doug

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Santerianumero1 said:
:ak:

I got my baby for 2,800 and the old 5mge was in very good shape. It's been with me for about 4 years now. (Anyone interested in the 5m???, I'll part with it for very cheap).

One question for all you 7mgte mkII's........how can you get the heater to stay on hot even when the turbo kicks in? Since the heater system works off of vacuum, I tend to have the heater go to cold everytime the turbo kicks in. Any solutions to that problem? I live in Salt Lake City, and the heater is great as long as I don't have an SS next to me that wants to race me.

Doug
How ironic I had the same problem too till the heater core finaly broke. :mad: All that pressure and hot coolant rushing rushing in and out under high temps is what caused it crack methinks. Another problem is that temp guage doesn't move untill the engine is totaly hot then it rises up all at once. All that coolant just sits and boils in the block and HC till the thermostat opens, not good. :( On the 5m the temp. guage would slowly rise with with engine temperature.

Man I wish I knew how to fix that problem of no heat under boost... Probably should break out the TSRM and study the mkiii HC setup. At any rate, Toyota wants $1600 to replace the F*&^@#$ HC, $300 for the HC its self. Shawn from Nix99 is gonna fix it for much less as soon as he can get my car into his shop as he's currently doing some swaps. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wade,

I think that in your case, perhaps the temp gauge sending unit was not working......mine rises exactly as the 5m, and my temp runs almost identically, between the 11 and 12 oclock position. I was at some street races a couple of weeks ago and I was parked next to a mkiii and the owner came and looked at mine, then we looked at his (popped the hood), we both were amazed at how much cooler my bay was. His was burnin up :devil:. My buddy and I (suprarunner), understand that the old 5m heater set up runs on vacuum, but when there is boost, that vacuum condition does not exists.......he suggested that some type of incision in the line be made and a valve, or small canister be placed to hold the vacuum so that the heat stays on.....we're working on that, if it works out, I'll definitely tell you if it was successful.

Back to the heater core issue....I really think that your hc was ready to die, like I said, my heater runs great, my temp gauge is right were it's supposed to be, and the bay gets warm, but never hot. I would also maybe check out the thermostat, maybe it was bad too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
delayed water temp sensors

I believe your water temp sensors is mounted after
the thermostat. When the thermostat finally
opens, it sends the temp signal to the gauge.

Jim
www.celicasupra.com/7mgte

Wade said:

How ironic I had the same problem too till the heater core finaly broke. :mad: All that pressure and hot coolant rushing rushing in and out under high temps is what caused it crack methinks. Another problem is that temp guage doesn't move untill the engine is totaly hot then it rises up all at once. All that coolant just sits and boils in the block and HC till the thermostat opens, not good. :( On the 5m the temp. guage would slowly rise with with engine temperature.

Man I wish I knew how to fix that problem of no heat under boost... Probably should break out the TSRM and study the mkiii HC setup. At any rate, Toyota wants $1600 to replace the F*&^@#$ HC, $300 for the HC its self. Shawn from Nix99 is gonna fix it for much less as soon as he can get my car into his shop as he's currently doing some swaps. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts