Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of building an 85 supra. Does anyone know any tricks to get some extra speed out of the 5MGE engine? I am considering nitrous or turbos or both, what kind of power is this engine capable of and still being a dependable daily driver? Are there any other performance parts I should be aware of? I can't seem to find much for this gen of car. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

·
The anti-muppet
345 Posts
:mad: i live in California and i was wondering if i were to slap that turbo manifold from the 7MGTE on to my 5MGE would it pass the smog here in CA. to any one out there that has a 5MGTE in CA, would the Mk2 pass smog with a 5MGTE?

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
Technically you'll never pass the visual unless your a good buddy with the smog guy no matter how clean it runs. You have two choices...

1. remove everything for smog checks. The time honored method of the CA car guy.

2. Install 7MGTE or any other newer motor. If you install all the smog equipment from the 7M (dual cats etc), have a CA emissions engine, and get it certified by a smog ref, it'll be as easy as smogging your 5M.

choice 2 is a much better choice if you have the skill or money to get a 7m installed. Plus the factory 7m computer and engine will be more modable than the stock 5m/6m setup.

-Aaron

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
zank_one said:
what if i were to put dual cat can you put dual cats on a 5MGTE
Won't matter how many cats you install. The 5M never had a turbo and was never certified for emissions by Toyota. The only legal way to turbo a 5M is to install a HKS or Spearco turbo kit (for the 5M). Both of which haven't been made since the car was new, good luck finding one. In contrast the 7MGTE was a Toyota motor that has a turbo and was certified for emissions in CA. The rules for an engine swap is that the motor must be a newer year, carry CA emmisions, and all the smog equipment must be retained off of that motor. So if you install a CA emissions 7MGTE with all the emissions equipment of the donor car your car is legal for smog, and is smogged under the rules for the year of the engine.

Any mods you do to any engine in CA to be legal must have a CARB EO# (typically on a sticker). Basically the manufacturer of that part proved to the CA Bureau of Auto Repair that the part doesn't increase the emissions of the vehicle. So when the smog guy does a visual check of the engine any aftermarket parts must have a EO#, otherwise it's an automatic fail, no matter how clean the car runs. The easiest way to get around this reinstall all the orginal parts prior to a smog check. That's the way I've always done it

Aaron

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same problem

I also was looking for power upgrades when I rebuilt my 82 5m....

I would say to leave the engine alone and look for something else. My car had a fuel controller, TRD header, full HKS exhaust and a aluminum flywheel.... It had great drive off the corners, but ....

Save your money for a 7MGTE the engine is much stouter and will hold upgrades much better.

Go to
http://www.supras.com/~riemer/sonic/sonic.htm

and check this out!

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
grankor said:
I wish i wasn't poor. :(
You're only 19, right? There aren't many rich 19 year-olds.

There's a solution to being poor: go to school and get your degree and then go kick a$$ in the work world. Make smart choices and you'll be driving a MkIV by 25.

Hang in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts