Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only thought to take pictures of this and make a guide like 3/4th of the way through, so you'll have to forgive me for not having begining pictures.

Everyone knows that the 89+ front bumpers are pimp juice. All the ladies want the guys with the freshened up style bumpers. So here is a short little guide for getting more girls.

The first thing you will want to do is remove the plastic under tray from the bumper. Unbolt three or four of the bolts toward the front of the wheel well. You Should now be able to get access to the bolts labeled 1 and 2.

To get to the bolts labeled 2 you need to unbolt the fog light assemblies. Then you can get to the bolts labeled 2.

The bolt groups 3 and 4 are easy to get to, need no explination.

You will also want to unbolt turn signals and grill, it just makes it easier to get to the bolt set labled 3.

There are only two "caveats" in bolting up the 89+ bumper. They will be covered in my replies so I can post the pictures up.

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bolting hardware in the location labeled 2 is longer than the holes in the bumper. Just trim the lip and you can mount the plate flush. The pic shows the lip trimmed already. You can see that the bar is about an inch longer than the bumper.

It mounts to the front support just fine once the lip is trimmed.

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hardware that mounts in location 1 may be broken. These are are hella old so pretty much plan on having something busted down there. The mounting hardware on my 89+ bumper was all busted up, so I swapped out with the hardware from my 88.

In the picture you can see that the 88 units are longer. Easy fix, just bend up the end and bend the top abit to match the top mounting bolt. Easy as pie.

·
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mounting up the new bumper is just the opposite of taking the old one off. I suggest mounting up location 2 first. That holds the whole thing up and lets you maneuver all the studs in location 3 into place and manuever location 1 into place.

Bolt both moldings and turn signals back into place. You're done.

You won't be able to reuse the fog lights, so just sell them. Same with the center grill. You also should have removed the stop lip becuase you'll be mounting up a new aftermarket lip.

Make sure you don't paint your new bumper. It looks great with your primmered black car. Paint is for pussies. Also you should have bolts left over. If you used all your bolts you did something wrong. Unbolt at least three to make up for using them all.

·
DFWSupras
1,627 Posts
this is great cause I just got back from the salvage today from picking up an 89+ bumper to mod for my intercooler and was wondering about a few little things. thanks

Christian

S

·
0 Posts
outofstep said:

Make sure you don't paint your new bumper. It looks great with your primmered black car. Paint is for pussies. Also you should have bolts left over. If you used all your bolts you did something wrong. Unbolt at least three to make up for using them all.
That's great! I drove around for 9 months with a white 89+ on a burgundy 87. Well, not really, cause two weeks after I installed the new bumper, it BHG'd me and I cracked the bumper while getting it on a trailer. But now it's replaced and I pussyfied and painted the whole damn thing!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
haahhahahahahahhahahahahha

honestly when i was putting on my 3rd front end, like 90% of the bolts just snapped, i tried tapping them but it didnt work, my bumper is held on by like 5 bolts lol

car looks sick... love the hood

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
I like my version better...but because removal is so much more fun...and involves a tree...

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
I have a spare 89+ Bumper in my garage, I like the 87's alot better personally...

anyone know how much I could sell the 89+ for?

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
satan_srv said:
Is the only difference the center how it meets the hood?
No the venting in the front is a different size... along with the girllies and turn signals.... oh and foglights.

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
Nice, but I'll keep my 88 thank you very much.
Besides, the 88 flows more air.
I could possibly be tempted to change out the rear lamps for newer ones, but the front cover is a keeper.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
adjuster said:
Nice, but I'll keep my 88 thank you very much.
Besides, the 88 flows more air.
I could possibly be tempted to change out the rear lamps for newer ones, but the front cover is a keeper.
Although I love my 87 front end, I heard someone tested them vs each other for air flow, and the 89+ actual flowed a little better...

·
*I see you*
668 Posts
How much for the extra bumper? I like both, but both of them don't work on the same car. I'm thinkin' my '87 would look a lot better with an updated front end. <Especially since there are about 4 old skool probes(nasty little bastards) around my apartment. The worst was when one of them passed when I had my mom in the car and she asked if that was a Supra too...I didn't say anything for a few seconds, then just said no.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
SuprAng said:
haahhahahahahahhahahahahha

honestly when i was putting on my 3rd front end, like 90% of the bolts just snapped, i tried tapping them but it didnt work, my bumper is held on by like 5 bolts lol

car looks sick... love the hood
heh I have a pre '89 bumper on my '89, held on by about 4-5 bolts as well. Also 90% of the stock bolts snapped when it was taken off to get painted.

·
Mr. 2JZUL8R
6,024 Posts
Hey Steppers good work!

ur half way there! go to Pep Boys and get some red paint and do a Advan Theme on the car! ;) i wanted to!

:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.