Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im walking to my mothers house early this morning and when I turn the corner, Im greeted buy a pearl white MKIII Supra, its stoped me in its tracks, looked like a nice looking car.

I went to have a look at it, and it was pretty beat up, it doesnt have a back bumper and lots of rust. I went inside my house and called my dad, he told me its an 86.5 NA and it hauls ass. I thought he just meant it was a nice car or whatever, anyways, he says I could go have a look at it and take it for a little cruise.

I never drove an NA supra before, I only was in my friends 88 Stock NA, Ive only drove turbo. I get in, start the beast up, tour outta my parking lot then floor the bitch in 2nd gear at about 3 grand. BOOOM the thing just goes! it totally blew my mind! i was expecting the same thing I got out of my friends 88 NA, a light push into my seat. I was thinking, this must not be stock, but I remmeber about how the 86.5's are lighter then any other MKIII, and found out later the exhuast was not stock. I honestly feel that this thing take a stock turbo, maybe even LIGHTLY modded.

L

·
0 Posts
dude thats like me. I drove my friends 88t and it felt like a sled. I pretty much know my 86.5 na can take his stock T.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could mislead alot of people into buying younger NA's. They might think, "oh man this thing is fast, Im gonna get a 89 NA it will be faster" type deal. Id say the 86.5 is the best NA you can get.

L

·
0 Posts
my 86.5 weighed in at 3300 stock. No ABS / LSD / TEMS / Targa. The weight difference definately makes a big difference. And soon I'll swap the GTE into my car, and then I'll own everything :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats honestly really smart. You could still probably lighten it further with the seats and such.

L

·
0 Posts
hardtop i hear makes a ~200 lb difference alone. If you want speed I would say definately skip the taraga models. And yes the power driver's seat weighs a lot too. I think it's around ~70 or so from what I've read. You can either get lightweight seats or just replace it with a stock passenger side seat. I think those are around 30 or 40.

·
helps you jump higher
945 Posts
a lot of people overlook weight in a car, I was thinking about trying to get some S13 240sx/silvia seats in my car, those are light and comfotable and you can pick them up for 50-100 bucks on freshalloy or a nissan forum.

You might want to get a LSD if yours didnt come with one, your not really saving that much weight and you will really need it when you try to launch with more power.

·
Registered
948 Posts
v6 eclipse has 205 hp around the same torque and weighs in at 3300 ish so i figure if an eclipse runs 15.2 then so can a na. its got less torque but its RWD

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've got 86.5 ex N/A, no ABS, TEMS, airbags etc--JDM 7MGTE
My N/A is actually the sports pack from factory, so it came stock with a 4.3 LSD. :D :D :D

When I race my mates 240sx/s13 with SR20 turbo, I beat him off the line and then just keep pulling on him, even though technically he has a lighter car, smaller turbo(faster spool) and similar mods to me.

·
JDMSoopraDriftoMachine!!1
925 Posts
4.30lsd = suck... esp with 225/45zr16's.... highway is my enemy. I'm looking for some great big 17's to make up some extra wheel diameter =)

·
Registered
78 Posts
i havent got to drive mine fast yet but it feels like it has alot of power but then again i am use to drving my 86 rx-7 with bad compression and leaking coolant seals

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah I just got my JDM engine a couple of weeks ago and man is it a whole lot faster. I really couldn't push the old engine past 3K RPM because it had a bad rod knock, half way blown headgasket, and would vibrate like crazy after 3K RPM so I never really got to run the car hard until I got the newer engine in. My power band is wierd though. It pulls great from 2K a till about 5.5K then seems to kinda lag as if it had a big ass T-88 turbo on it. I think my injectors need cleaning though so I've got to get some STP or Lucas treatment.

Tim

·
LAG?? Learn to drive...
1,941 Posts
wow an NA thread without flames. i guess theres a first for everything. and yeah the 86.5 is the lightest and even the 87 is slightly heavier. with only and intake header, test pipe, and turbo exhaust i ran a 15.1 two weeks ago. full int. if that matters.

when i went a mid summer i ran a 16.4??? turns out i had alot of problems. i had a clogged fuel filter 4500+ would lean out insane. plus my TPS had the bottom three prongs disconnected, plus the TPS was off a bit. but once i fixed all that its real nice. hell just a week or two ago i was playing with my friends 91 turbo on the highway. he had a pass. with a DP, and blitx nur spec. but i beat him through 2nd. then 3rd he got about 2 cars but i hung with him from there all the way up to ~140-145. he didnt realize i was an NA til after we stopped. was also playing with two dsm's but they werent a concern. like i keep saying my cars fast for what it is but still too slow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
well, i have a 86.5 hardtop 5-speed with 2.5" catback exhaust, and K&N, with the spare out, and short shifter mod, it's fun to drive in the country, i want to add more power, and i;ve read all the websites, but dont have alot of money, any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts