Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well..looks like all hell broke loose. I bought my 86.5 about 3 months ago, and now I just finally finished putting on a new head to find out the bottom end is f'd because im hearing a rod knock. So what im gonna do now is a 7m-gte swap.

I talked to a local mechanic and he said it will cost almost 1000 dollars to put in. So im just thinking about renting a engine hoist and doing this myself. Im planning to buy a JDM 7m-gte and use my stock transmission from the 86.5 (w58).

Im only 18 and my mom is kinda freaked out now cuz I told her im gonna change the engine on my car...lol, and so im just wondering how long would it take for me to do all this...I read all of Dr. Jonez's stuff on his site because he did a na->turbo conversion himself, and it doesnt look all that hard.

About the engine. Im thinking ill just get a jdm 7m-gte from SOKO because ive heard good stuff about them, and about the rest of the parts ill scout ebay and parts trader. Im worried about the ecu and harnest, and weather i should have it with the engine package or im going to have to scout for one.

What id like is some advise on the swap and what I should know before I spend 1,000 on a motor.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
if you have no experience in doing an engine swap and things of that sort, the best thing to do, is find a friend (or make one) who has done one before, and have them help you along the way, because problems arise, and it takes more than 6 hours to pull an engine doing it by yourself, not a hard task persay, but a tedious one

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.