Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am a honda guy right now... but a guy I work with is selling his mk3 7mgte for 500 bux the body is perfect and everything nice. The frame has about 160k on it

The motor currrently in the car, which has about 40k on it, was apparently ordered from somewhere and put in by a toyota dealership... who while putting the engine in replaced the wiring harness and some other stuff.

From what he says, it sounds like the engine has a BHG, like I have been reading so much about, assuming it is a BHG and I do the labor, about how much time and money will be required in order to get the thing running right? It it more likly that the head and block will need to be resurfaced or would i just need like an ARP stud kit and a metal head gasket?

·
Registered
346 Posts
You can do a quick bandaid, Put felpro head gasket and buckle it back up. $200 in gasket, oil, coolent, and other stuff and then cross your finger and see how long til the Temp needle goes past red

Or

You can do it right, pull engine, take it apart, machine head, Deck block and do it all right. then you know it'll last you a while.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So yer saynig the odds are there is warpage on the block and head? that is why I need resurfacing?

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Warpage?
YES!
Trust me... if you did it all right, I would estimate you would have about $5k in the whole deal.
Now IMO... that is a middle - high quote depending on where you get your machine work done, and what parts you use.
For instance, if you ran Carrillo racing rods, you would be paying about $1-4k in just RODS!
And if you are like me, and run Ferrea racing valves, you're going to be spending $24+ ON EACH VALVE.
The list goes on and on.
Also, in machine work, YOU DO GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Don't skimp and have Joe Schmoe down at the local parts warehouse machine your head with big swirl marks going down the surface.
As for $500 for just the car... WHAT A STEAL!
Go for it.
Worst case scenario.... you have the head milled, use a MHG, and use some ARP head bolts, flush the fluids, and hope for the best. Alot of people have done that with much higher milage (sp?) engines, and they are building great HP.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
VIVA LA M.A.S.H. Midwest
1,451 Posts
Well you can go and buy:
stock rods used, stock rods reconditioned, stock rods new, stock rods race prepped, alum drag rods, carrillo rods, eagle rods, cheapo domestic chinese rods that look strong but aren't, falicon (if they still offer them), custom CNC rods built out of billet tool steel by your local CNC shop, Manley rods, etc etc etc. Need I say more?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I bought an '88 turbo with 131,000 miles and a BHG for $700. I checked the cylinder head for straightness with a machinist's straight edge and it fell within spec (barely), so no machining was required. I paid $221 for the complete Toyota rebuild kit (headgasket, valve stem seals, all intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, etc.) and $86 for ARP headbolts. That was 1 year and 13,000 miles ago and it's been running perfect on 11 pounds.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a good deal as long as you know what you are getting youself in to ask around to make sure this is somehting you would want to do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts